Gully inside conservatory often blocked, can it be removed?

Waste to right of kitchen sink turning into utility and following left side wall, all above ground and boxed in. 50mm pipe up to 4 metres.

Blup

leaving it above ground isn't feasible either, there's a door in the way (between conservatory and utility)
(all doors marked in indigo)
1699257744416.png

Sponsored Links
Its back to digging up the floor, or pursuing the earlier suggestion of cctv and dye, and talking to the neighbour.

Blup

Its back to digging up the floor, or pursuing the earlier suggestion of cctv and dye, and talking to the neighbour.

Blup
The current pipe from the kitchen sink to the gully is in 40mm; would it need to be converted into a bigger diameter for the section to be buried in the floor? The section from the sink to the current gully cannot be changed

You can source a pipe with a wall thickness suitable for burying underground

Blup

Sponsored Links
Or something like this

Blup

So I bought a drain cleaning pipe for my pressure washer and managed to push it past the trap (it took me a while) up to a point where it wouldn’t go forward. I moved it a bit back and forward (while pulling the trigger on the karcher) and all of a sudden all the water inside the gully drained away in a second.
By measuring the length of pipe I guess the blockage is where I expect the junction with the shared sewage to be.
I though I had unblocked it but after a few minutes I tested the gully again and it still drains slowly

I think what I'd do is to remove the existing gully, and see if there is any obvious issue with that causing the repeat blockages. If not, then get the outgoing drain surveyed with a Camera and see what's going on there, and decide from there what is the best plan going forward.

It may only need a good clean, in which case, once that is done, fit an Osma Bottle Gully with screw down lid, waste can connect via one of the side bosses, and system is then sealed, but access available in future if required. Floor covering can go over the top to disguise it's presence.

What price should I expect to pay for a cctv survey? And how can I find a reputable drain surveyor?

I think what I'd do is to remove the existing gully, and see if there is any obvious issue with that causing the repeat blockages. If not, then get the outgoing drain surveyed with a Camera and see what's going on there, and decide from there what is the best plan going forward.

It may only need a good clean, in which case, once that is done, fit an Osma Bottle Gully with screw down lid, waste can connect via one of the side bosses, and system is then sealed, but access available in future if required. Floor covering can go over the top to disguise it's presence.

If I fit a sealed bottle gully, would any future blockage back up directly to the kitchen sink?

If I fit a sealed bottle gully, would any future blockage back up directly to the kitchen sink?
Technically yes, but you should have some warning before it gets to that stage, Gurgling or slow draining sink when water is discharged would be a classic sign. Need to find out what the issue is in the drain, sort it, and you shouldn't have any more issues hopefully.

Technically yes, but you should have some warning before it gets to that stage, Gurgling or slow draining sink when water is discharged would be a classic sign. Need to find out what the issue is in the drain, sort it, and you shouldn't have any more issues hopefully.
I had the water company (Severn Trent) out a couple of times in the last 3 years.
The first time there was a big blockage 3 or 4 houses downstream, another one the blockage was right at my gully trap (they unblocked it by rodding it)

This time the blockage seems to be right at the junction so it’s unclear if it’s my or their responsibility

West midlands
Bit too far for me to be able to help, I'd harass ST again, see if they'll send someone out to look. If not, look for a local independent Drain Company, (avoid anyone with lots of AAA's or 111's in their name, and multiple phone numbers), and get a fixed price to jet and CCTV the drain.

Sorry for resurrecting this but I still haven’t made up my mind. I dig a hole in the patio to see where my pipe joined the common sewer and I found the pipe is covered with concrete.

If I remove the gully and the pipe is also covered in concrete, how do I connect to it?

Attachments

• IMG_6453.jpeg
    IMG_6453.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 14

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back