How to unblock a gully without manhole access?

If there is a manhole downstream a decent drain guy could use a rope to pull his jetter up the junction to the gully. I did one a couple of weeks ago and pulled out this lot:
View attachment 191969

View attachment 191970

The downstream manhole should be in the neighbours patio, although I cannot see it; I have access to the the upstream manhole (which is in my patio)
Unfortunately the pipe from the gully meets the sewage between the two manholes

Sponsored Links
Hi Jacoscar,

I just tried this method on my rain water gully that was completely blocked with clay soil, and stones and it worked for me.

Ps i combined the hose with a wet vac on blower configuration to help blow out the blockage .

I had access to the down stream manhole cover and got a helper to observe the manhole until the blockage was cleared and i got a consistent flow of clear water.

It took about 40mins to complete

The downstream manhole should be in the neighbours patio, although I cannot see it; I have access to the the upstream manhole (which is in my patio)
Unfortunately the pipe from the gully meets the sewage between the two manholes
It’s a shame you can’t see it, it would be pretty easy to guide the jet head up a junction if you were going upstream.

Ok, so I hired a contractor to do the work; he spent a good half an hour trying to jet it from the gully ; then he asked to see the neighbour's manhole (which is the next one) and it was full; and the next neighbour's as well!
So we called the water company as he said he cannot do anything until they fix it.

Now waiting for the water company to come back (again) and sort it out; if my private section is still blocked, the contractor will come back to fix it and I'll pay him; but if it's all sorted after the water company fix their section and the contractor doesn't need to come back, I think I should pay him for his time and the water company probably needs to reimburse me as they originally said it was my problem, where do I stand?

Sponsored Links
Probably worth having a "go" to seek recompense, based on what you were told, BUT? it will probably end up as your word against the Water Company??

Given this is a very new incident the paperwork will still be available to the Water Company so they can run a check, If it were me I would start chasing now when all records are still to hand, not archived and the crew who visited first are still contactable by the Water Company.

Ken.

I suspect it is highly unlikely there is anything wrong with your section, other than its backed up from the issue downstream. Chances are when that is cleared, your issue will also be sorted. Previous advice was assuming the Water Company employees had done their job properly, checked the run and that downstream chambers were clear. It now seems they hadn't...

Might be worthwhile taking pictures of the full chambers in your neighbours property, as evidence for the cause of your issue, and I would be asking to speak to, (or get the contact name of), someone senior at the Water Company when asking they reattend. Tell them you have engaged a Contractor, (on the advice of their employee who initially attended), who has informed you it is not Private and in fact is a blockage in the shared sewer, in a neighbouring property.

Pay the Contractor, as he has attended in good faith, but get an invoice stating that the shared section was blocked, and they have advised you it is a shared sewer so therefore the Water Company's issue. Then go back to the Water Company, present this invoice and ask they settle your contractor's invoice as their employee had previously stated it wasn't their (Water Company's) responsibility.

The water company have been here an hour and a half now and they are (on their own admission) “confused” as they seem to have jetted the sewage from the downstream house to the upstream one (we saw something spraying up in the upstream neighbour, I just hope they had the window closed)
But my manhole keeps filling up and so does the gully...

Ok, they have finished now; there were a lot of blockages down the line
The gully now drains regularly

Ok, they have finished now; there were a lot of blockages down the line
Something for you and your neighbours to keep an eye on = water co. might need to excavate or reline their drain @ some point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back