How to unstick stuck recessed (slot head) lock shield?

I suspect that when they started becoming trendy, a lot of firms purchased poor quality ones from China.
Can't say I've seen that as much but wouldn't be surprised. The biggest issue with them is space heating, they are seriously bad at heating anything beyond a 3 ft radius due to the way they work.

Sponsored Links
I'm using the largest slotted screwdriver that fits. Its a very large head. Masses of pressure. Nothing happening.
Don't go any harder then, otherwise you could have a problem, was it the installer that set them that way, if so I'd get them back to sort them out.

Its a sealed system @Mottie. Problem is, that's probably something I'd not be comfortable doing myself so obviously more costly as i'd need a plumber. So if any chance I can unstick that'd be good.
Honestly, with a sealed system, once you have let some pressure out (either by draining half a bucket of water out or even by a rad bleed screw), you have a vacuum and as long as you can use an adjustable spanner, you can change a valve in seconds without losing much water at all. Once you’ve changed the valves, it’s just a matter of topping up the system and possibly bleeding a few rads.

Does the system have TRVs?

I'd fit them if not. Would solve the heat profiling problem without hobbling the other rads.

Sponsored Links
Does the system have TRVs?

I'd fit them if not. Would solve the heat profiling problem without hobbling the other rads.
We have trv’s on all the rads. But the system still needs balancing as two rads are barely getting any heat but we still want all the rads fully hot so turning down the trv’s wouldn’t solve the problem.

We have trv’s on all the rads. But the system still needs balancing as two rads are barely getting any heat but we still want all the rads fully hot so turning down the trv’s wouldn’t solve the problem.
All rads should get equal heat until the TRVs shut down neighbouring rads.
The issue isn't balancing, your isselue seems to be the plumbing.

Are these two rads tailed off the existing circuit by any chance?

"Hardly any heat" seems odd. They should get exactly the same as everywhere else.

The two rads are on their own ‘spur’ I suppose. One tails off the spur half way to the other - like branches of a tree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back