How to use a tumble dryer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May seem a daft question, but the tumble dryer has an array of programs, 15 in all 1698571086708.pngwhere the old one had high/low heat, and a timer, so with old one would set for 1 hour, check the clothes, if not dry then set it off a second time, and always used low heat.

But the new one has sensors to work out when dry, and it can run for hours. OK with a heat pump not using as much, but still a long time, the programs don't seem to make sense, looking down the list it works at 50 - 55ºC or 60 - 65ºC so why 15 programs not just 2? It give a time of 30 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes, but in real terms it can run for 5 hours.

So if I look at two programs Mix and Delicate default time for mix 2:30 and delicate 1:00 but in real terms it runs longer set to delicate which is not surprising as 50 - 55ºC rather than 60 - 65ºC. Washing is sorted into colours, so I don't have delicate and synthetics and wool, it is always a mixture.

It seems I have a dry level which can be set H-1 Ironing, H-2 ready to wear, H-3 cupboard, I have never used an iron although we do have a trouser press and a steam press, I don't use them either, although seen my wife use them, however what I want is a simple stick the clothes in and press start, although I now wonder if the two stage we use to use was the key, dry them a bit let them stand so moisture transfers and evens out then dry second time.

The problem is I want to dry while sun shines, then zero cost, solar panels supply the power, but the long drying time does not allow me to select when they dry.

Sponsored Links
They usually have fixed time setting, just experiment to see how long clothes take to dry on it. Otherwise use H-3 which is the driest setting, plus the highest temp setting available.

Blup

I think you ought to sort them by fabric type. Which determines the drying programme they need.

Towels are not the same as sheets.

Woollens, if you really MUST tumble them, need very gentle handling.

You need to separate whites, at the very least.

If the loads are small, they will each be quicker.

If you want to get the most benefit from solar, do the cottons when there is most sun. If you end up having to do synthetics in a later cloudy period, they don't need so much energy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back