How To Vent Shower Fan Through Roof Tile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a B&Q shower fan and light fitting to the bathroom of my bungalow. The fan comes with a white plastic extendable duct pipe to vent the fan to the outside.

My early 80s bungalow has flat tiles, with a groove down each side, where they interlock with the tile either side of it. Can I buy a tile from a roofing supplier that will replace an existing tile, that has a vent built into it to attach the duct pipe? Or do I have to cut a hole into an existing tile and get some kind of fitting to go in the hole?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes most roofing merchants will have or be able to get a tile/slate vent to fit an extractor fan best advice take a sample of your tile with you or even a picture on here and one of us will know what sort of tile it is it does sound like a marley modern or russell grampian to me but a pic would be best

Thanks. Wasn't sure if such a thing existed. Will take a tile down to the local merchants.

Much easier to run the duct through the eaves & vent through a soffit board grill if you can.

Sponsored Links
i got a plastic replacement vented lowprofile tile, very easy to fit as the tile was identical to the one removed

How do you use/fit a versa tile? Does it replace existing tile, or do you cut a hole in it?

sorry, didn't notice you had asked another question.

it replaces a tile, it comes with instructions but basically it is:

remove the roof tile and the ones around it, cut the felt, cut through your roof, fit the rain guard thing that it comes with it, fit the versa tile, then refit the roof tiles.

I don't think I had to trim the sponge part like you do on velux flashings but if your surrounding tiles don't sit right you might need to.

you also need the extra adapter for fitting to pipes or ducting.

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back