Plastic Roof Vent Tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents had an extension built a few years ago and the builder fitted a plastic roof tile vent which is connected by flexi pipe to the bathroom extractor fan. The roof tiles are marley moderns by the way. In some heavy rain water was dripping from the extractor fan. When I went up on the roof i found the vent tile was not sitting flat due to the headlap of the tiles. Part of the underneath profile of the vent tile was interfering with the tiles below and so the vent tile was being pushed up. I am now trying to find a way of sorting this, is it allowable to cut part of the tiles below so that I can get the vent to sit properly, this would probably mean removal of one of the tile nibs which sit behind the batten. Any help appreciated.

Victor

Sponsored Links
Some of the plastic vents had a sort of box underneath.
If the tiles were on at a tight gauge of less than 12 inches this interfered with the tile below.
I'm guessing this is the case.
Best bet , junk the vent tile. Use a lead slate , a weathering collar and mushroom cowl

Thanks your spot on, I will look into your suggested solution. They used to manufacture a concrete vent tile which would of sufficed, might see if any reclamation yards have them as well as your idea.

Thanks
Victor

Sponsored Links
Thanks, where do they normally fail, I've got one on my roof which has been there for 15 years any looks ok.

Victor

Would you say not to cut the tiles below if it means removing one of the nibs on each tile.

Marley make their own plastic vent tiles for individual types .Maybe a universal vent was fitted ?

I think it might be klobber, it certainly looks like one of theirs I saw online

I have to replace two concrete tile vents that have failed on a 15 yr old extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back