How to vent the feed & Return pipes for a Rad fed from a

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I have got a problem with a new radiator that I have installed, in that it won't heat up more than luke warm.

Here is the scenario;

I have an open vented system, with the boiler and pump downstairs and the F&E tank in the loft. The flow and return pipes are all located in the First floor Joist voids, so the pipes for the upstairs rads all come up through the floor, and the pipes for the downstairs ones come down from the ceiling.

I recently had to move the pipes that fed the lounge radiator, so that they came down through the ceiling in a different place. At the point where they came off of the feed & return pipes there were what looked like vent points, and I assumed that they were some kind of valve for bleeding the vertical length of the pipes.
The pipes are actually at the end of the loop, so the feed & return pipes don't go onto a subsequent rad.

I didn't refit the same ones because they looked very furred up, instead I fitted a couple of manual vent points that I opened when I filled the systemto make sure that there was no air in it.

I think that this could be the cause of my problem.

Now, when the heating is on, the feed pipe is at the proper temperature all the way down the wall and across to the point that it enters the rad. However the rad Rad itself only gets luke warm, and the return pipe is even cooler. When I open the vent at the top of the feed, I get hot water out, when I open the vent at the top of the return pipe I get nothing for a while, and then (typically after about a minute) luke warm water starts to flow out. The rad will then warm up once, but will cool down again even while the heating is still on

I guess my first question, is what sort of vent should I have fitted at the point where the F & R pipes turn down from the ceiling to run down the wall?

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
15mm pipe throughout ( that is what was in there originally).

From the previous rad on the loop, the pipes run for 1.5m under the bedroom floor, then the vertical runs are about 2.2m.
The the feed pipe runs for a further 1m along the wall, and the return pipe for 2.5m

close outher rads and force the water through that shoudl shift any air,check rad valves are open on new one

Sponsored Links
Does it sound like an air lock?

Should there be some kind of a vent at the 90 degree bend to vertical?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back