How to wire 2 two gang light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our kitchen we have 2 two gang light switches to control 2 lights
one at each end. Only one light is working properly with the left hand switch, this works fine at either end.

The right hand switch however doesn't appear to do anything.
light switch one has 3 reds 3 blacks and 3 earths
light switch two has 3 reds 2 blacks and 3 earths
so i'm lost already because were a black missing, or is this right.
can anyone advise me on how to wire this sort of switch please.

We've had this problem since we moved in 5 years ago
and we can't really efford to get a pro in.

Thanx for any advice. :D

Sponsored Links
i presume you havent touched the wires?

i would assume that it did at one time work, i presume you have changed the lamp / fitting?
next thing have you changed the switch, and note my signature

The second light switch has never worked since we moved in.
and yes i have changed the light fitting.
I think wires are wrong in the secong gang but without any help
its staying like it.

what terminals have wires in light switch2 and are there any link wires

if the com terminal of one gang in switch2 is empty try linking it with a short red wire to the com of the other gang

Sponsored Links
Plug

Don't know how you can come out with such a general statement.... The common he taps off could be sw live....then what?

We need to know which wires go where...at BOTH ends of the switching circuit.

Thanx for responding guys, I know how hard this can be without knowing what cable does what.

I haven't got a test metre in the house, just a electrical driver.
I have looked at the back of switch 1 and made a note of the wiring in(gang 2) (the gang that's not working)
There is a live black in L1 - nothing in L2 and live red in the common

Switch 2 (gang 2) has a red in L1 a black in L2 and a red in the common
None of these are live. I hope this helps more

Thanx

More info

This is mad, i tried switch 2 (gang 2) the dickie booger and light 2 came on
WoW i was just about to jump with joy then when i turned the same switch off light 1 came on as light 2 went off (What) This is messed up

I have a diagram on how to wire a 2gang 2way switch but the only trouble is finding out what wire is for what.
i'm buying a multi meter today but not that clear on what i should
be looking for. If i disconnect all wires from both switches am i right in saying that there should be only one Live wire on one of the switches.

Cheers

the two ranges you need on your multimeter are ac voltage up to mains voltage (pick the first ac voltage range that has a maximum above mains generally 600V or something)

and the lowest resistance range which you use with the power off to check if there

im guessing the permanent live will be the single red at switch 2 if you are using a multimeter to find the live feed and are therefore testing live you MUST put all the loose wires into chock block (put all earths in the same gang of the chock block) when looking for the permeanent live you should mesure betwnee the wire under test and earth

then if im not mistaken there will be 2 twin and earth cables betwenn the switches theese can be found with the power off and useing the contunity range of the meter with one test lead exended (more chock block needed ;) )

and then 1 cable from switch 1 carrying the 2 swiched lives up to the lights (you could test this using a lead chock blocked to the permanent live in switch two and then chock blocked to the leads in switch one one at a time (switch off the power before changeing this lead)

you would then wire it like this

[code:1]

(l1)---------------(l2)
incoming live---(com) (com)-----------
| (l2)---------------(l1)
| swiched lives
| to lights
| (l1)---------------(l2)
'-(com) (com)-----------
(l2)---------------(l1)

[/code:1]

securespark i thought it was most likely the permanent live feed and gave suggestions as such

the great thing about normal british lightswitch wiring is that as long as you don't connect anything to earth you can't really cause a short cuircuit as all you are handleing is lives and switched lives

Thanx for the help Plugwash

Right i've got my digi multi meter (Mashtech) 32 position beast with temp gauge and i'm raving to go. I just spent two hours reading up on these things so i don't kill myself or damage any equiptment.

I understand how to measure Volts AC /DC AMP AC /DC but not that sure on the Ohm/resistance side of it all.
You mension (I quote) if you are using a multimeter to find the live feed and are therefore testing live you MUST put all the loose wires into chock block (put all earths in the same gang of the chock block)

Sorry, Whats a chock block - is it the plastic blocks with brass contacts
I have one of those if so.
i will wait for a response untill i crack on .

Ta

p1443618_l.jpg

hello choc bloc

Cheers mate, you've been a star so far
I'm sure i will sort it with good info from urself.
will let you know when i get stuck. :LOL:

Calling captain plugwash :)

I think i'm gonna need more help here if you don't mind.
I found the main live feed cable, You were right, the odd ball red.
I didn't have the equiptment to test the cables via continuity
so i sort off did a bit of guess work (but failed)

It seems i'm never gonna wire this moma.
would it be possible if i send you 2 jpeg images taken from my cam
maybe then you could get a better idea of whats going on.

Obviously i need your email address

Ta

under forum rules no one can post their email address, they should be shown in the user profile only.

if you ask diynot to post them we can all see / help

see this

get a long bit of mains rated cable (normal twin and earth lighting cable would be fine so would mains flex)

turn off the power
connect one end to the permanent live
connect the other end to one of the cables in the other switch
turn on the power
see which if any of the lights light up
that should tell you which wires take the lives back to the lights (i expect it will be a red and black from the same cable)

Sorry for the late response Pluggi :D been on holz

From your great advice n help i finally managed to sort out the 2 light
switches. I found the swiched live wires with the continuity tester from my Digi tester, used a bit of 2 core wire from gang 1 common to gang two common to make gang 2 live. Was a bit puzzled at first about the spare two cables in switch 2 but this soon came apparent and they were for lights one and two.

all is swell and now i'm that happy i'm gonna fit my car radio with stacks of confidence (probably will blow it like)

Thanx again

Joni

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back