How to wire 9w G23 bulb and ballast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I need some assistance in wiring a G23 Uv bulb with a 9w magnetic ballast on the attached pic.

Totally lost with how to wire it. There's 4 connections from the ballast. Not sure which goes to the bulb and which goes to the mains. I have also read online that I would need to earth the ballast.

I don't want to guess work it since the uv bulb was quite expensive and I wouldn't want it to blow up.

Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_20200825_133500_706.jpg

South Africa

Sponsored Links
According to the picture on the ballast that is for a 9W T5 florescent tube not a 9W PL lamp. There are only two connections on that ballast, though each connection has the facility to take two wires.
If you are confident it is OK to use that ballast it is put in series with the lamp.
Live from one side of ballast, a wire from the other side to one side of the lamp, and neutral to the other side of the lamp.
The starter shown on the diagram is built in to a PL lamp.

According to the picture on the ballast that is for a 9W T5 florescent tube not a 9W PL lamp. There are only two connections on that ballast, though each connection has the facility to take two wires.
If you are confident it is OK to use that ballast it is put in series with the lamp.
Live from one side of ballast, a wire from the other side to one side of the lamp, and neutral to the other side of the lamp.
The starter shown on the diagram is built in to a PL lamp.
Is there any particular difference between the ballast for the fluorescent tube and the ballast for the pl lamp? The guy at the store gave the this ballast.

Would the wiring be like the below pic?
IMG_20201001_143957.jpg

Is there any particular difference between the ballast for the fluorescent tube and the ballast for the pl lamp? The guy at the store gave the this ballast.

Probably. A 9W T5 tube runs at 0.17 amps as stated on the ballast. A PL lamp has a thinner glass tube so therefore will run at a lower current with a higher running voltage. I don't know what the figures are however. It may be over run, maybe OK.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back