How to wire low voltage LEDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some downlights to add to an alcove. I have found these. They are DC12V LEDs.

1.png

I want to have them wired to the ceiling light circuit, so I can turn them on/off via a switch at the wall.

Is this possible? If so, would I be correct that I'd need to buy a transformer and ask an electrician to splice this into the wire after the 6-way junction box, and then link this into the lighting switch?

Or is this setup simply not suitable for what I am trying to achieve?

Sponsored Links
No, I would need to either mount or recess them into MDF shelving.

Unfortunately I can't find any "cabinet" lights like this that are designed to be wired into a lighting circuit.

Unfortunately I can't find any "cabinet" lights like this that are designed to be wired into a lighting circuit.
I would imagine that any competent electrician would be able to devise a method of wiring almost any lights into a lighting circuit if that's what you want - but, as has been said, the closer the lights are to being designed for what you want, the easier it would be. The best thing would be to explain your requirements to an electrician and then let him/her decide on the best way to implement it, and show you the options of appropriate light fittings.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I am looking for some downlights to add to an alcove. I have found these. They are DC12V LEDs.

View attachment 108521

I want to have them wired to the ceiling light circuit, so I can turn them on/off via a switch at the wall.

Is this possible? If so, would I be correct that I'd need to buy a transformer and ask an electrician to splice this into the wire after the 6-way junction box, and then link this into the lighting switch?

Or is this setup simply not suitable for what I am trying to achieve?

They are not low voltage, they are extra low voltage. They seem to come with a power supply (not a transformer which is an AC device and unsuitable) but the problem is it is fitted to the back of a 13amp plug which is not suitable for a lighting circuit. You could perhaps source a wire ended power supply the same output voltage.

I also had a problem finding a 12 Vdc power supply which did not have a plug built in from a local supplier. But from the internet there is very little you can't get, the problem is you can't view before you buy, it is hard to return, and there is a time delay between ordering and getting the goods.

To DIY it does not really matter if it takes some time, but for an electrician time is money, so he wants to have exactly what is required when he starts the job. But if charging by the hour, to arrive, charge minimum charge and tell the client wrong bits, will make him money, but not make him popular.

So really you have two options.
1) DIY the lot.
2) Get the electrician to do the lot.

I have tried many times to join wires and modify, some times it goes A1, others you find wire which is too thin to crimp, is not copper so will not solder, or a real *** to strip to get at the wire. Some units are sealed so near impossible to get into in a way which will allow re-assembly after.

So yes it can be done, but let the person doing the job get the lamps etc. Show him what you want on internet, but let him buy them.

Under 50 Vac or 75 Vdc smooth is technically extra low voltage, although most people do realise the extra is often missed out when the voltage is clearly stated. But the power supply is a real problem, the switch mode or pulse width modulated DC supply is often not very smooth, and so a 12 Vdc for lights may not swap with 12 Vdc for radio set because of the smoothness of supply. Also the watts output vary often called VA instead of watts although technically it should be watts with DC.

Sorry not really what you want to hear, but I can repair stuff at home with sticky tape, but for a customer it has to an expected standard, fact it works and is safe is not enough.

I also had a problem finding a 12 Vdc power supply which did not have a plug built in from a local supplier.
If one can only find 'wallwarts' but does not want to use a standard 13A socket (e.g. if it is to be connected to a lighting circuit, and one feels hesitant to wire a 13A socket to that), I suppose one could 'attach' the device to a socket (standard or trailing), using anything from cable ties to super glue or epoxy - to ensure that the socket can never be used for anything else..

Kind Regards, John

I also had a problem finding a 12 Vdc power supply which did not have a plug built in from a local supplier. But from the internet there is very little you can't get, the problem is you can't view before you buy, it is hard to return, and there is a time delay between ordering and getting the goods.

CPC-Farnell have a number that have IEC inputs, which with an IEC mains lead can easily be wired in:

http://cpc.farnell.com/ideal-power/...y-12v-5a-level/dp/PW03997?MER=e-bb45-00001002

They are a mainstream supplier, returns and refunds are not a problem and they ship same day.

PS - my only connection with them is as along standing and satisfied customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back