How was this profile cut?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so what tool was used to cut this profile? It definately feels like it was made by a chippy with a good set of tools rather than produced by a bespoke workshop.

From left to right; small flat section, wider flat section, R30 curve and another R30 curve.

Flat areas I'm guessing a planer or perhaps a router but the R30 curves seems too big for a router; wouldn't a 60mm diameter tool just tear itself apart at router speeds? If not a router, what tool was used?

Sponsored Links
That'd be a big router cutter, I don't think I've seen a coving bit that big, but that doesn't mean to say they're not available. It'd be used in a table with reduced speed. Not freehand.
Probably done on a spindle moulder, possibly with two passes for some reason, from the "nib" that is visible.
Or if it's an old piece may even have been produced using a moulding plane.

or theyve done a 'norm' and set the blade in the table saw,and cut across it at about 45 degrees,search youtube.

I'm just seeing the one curve on your image. Unless the trees are hiding the sticks.lol.
Whitehill TC convex profiler mebbe.

Sponsored Links
I'm just seeing the one curve on your image. Unless the trees are hiding the sticks.lol.
Whitehill TC convex profiler mebbe.

Running my finger down it, there's a definite ridge and looking closely it looks like two cuts at R30. When I put a R35 profile against it it doesn't quite fit. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out some warping and multiple layers of paint.

Just curious how it might have been made that's all.

If it is old and hand-made then it would have been worked by sawing/planing a rebate then forming the rounded hollow by using a large hollow plane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back