How would you more experienced spreads tackle this little job.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a normal window opening increased in size down to the floor. This has meant I need to make good the lower half. See pics.

Obviously needs boaeding, beading and blending. Woukd you bead from the floor to the lintel, ie over the top of the existing bead and then plaster the entire reveal and blend into the main walls either side, or would you just bead the bottom bit, try and get a nice seam between the existing beads and new and then just skim in the bottom half.

Cant decide which way to do it.

IMG-20230817-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20230817-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20230817-WA0006.jpg

Sponsored Links
For the walls bond Plasterboard or cement board on ,corner bead scrim and plaster. NB.not a pro but thats how ive done my reveals

Last edited:
If you bead full height you'd have to remove old one or fix on top, skim the reveal and feather it out across the wall. If you just did the lower section I guess you could tape the join between old an new which would be less depth to feather out but greater possibilities of small crack on the bead join.Personally I mostly go for the one that removes the need for future work if it goes wrong but Im not a risk taker in the Diy stakes.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You might want to think about insulation board for that reveal- Marmox or similar will cut the cold bridging significantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back