How would you sequence this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon chaps, I hope everyone is well.

This is my first attempt at plumbing, so go easy!

How would you go about sequencing the soldering here?

I've yet to drain down the system but want to get my ducks in a line and not screw this up before attempting.

Is there any merit in pre-soldering this tail? Then I can simply cut the feed once the system is drained and carry out the final solder.

Nothing is attached at the moment or screwed in etc. Lagging and valve is just there to hold it all in place (both will be removed prior obviously).

Any advice would be gratefully received.

All the best.

20201115_144551.jpg

Sponsored Links
Here is t'other.

Two elbows close together here - I did try to pre-solder this, didnt go well.

I guess my quandary is how to handle multiple solder rings so close to one another.

20201115_145553.jpg

What metal is the vertical pipe ,it looks like chrome plated ,which will not solder.

Whatever seems easiest for you. I’d probably do it all in-situ. Think about how you’re going to avoid setting fire to and melting things!

(I write as a DIYer whose pipe-soldering is still a bit hit-and-miss!)

Sponsored Links
Whatever seems easiest for you. I’d probably do it all in-situ. Think about how you’re going to avoid setting fire to and melting things!

(I write as a DIYer whose pipe-soldering is still a bit hit-and-miss!)

I suppose the issue I have with in-situ is the fittings are all very loose, so much so that they were finely balanced just to take the picture. Consequently I cant seem to work out how I get my solder mat behind and hold them all in place whilst heating. Logic would be piece by piece letting it cool in between before adding the next section, but that obviously wont work as I'll melt the open end of the solder rings.

Scratch and flux firms them up a bit but not enough.

Is it laquered brass ,if it is you need to clean it off before soldering.

Is it laquered brass ,if it is you need to clean it off before soldering.

Antique brass - I scratched the finish all off prior to my first failed 'off site' soldering attempt and it seemed fine, held very well

20201115_162755.jpg

Nip the fittings ,only a tiny bit, where the pipe enters the fitting . Squeeze with a pair of grips or similar. Then insert the pipe ,it will hold them together .You could then solder most together on a bench and just do the final joint in situ.

Nip the fittings ,only a tiny bit, where the pipe enters the fitting . Squeeze with a pair of grips or similar. Then insert the pipe ,it will hold them together .You could then solder most together on a bench and just do the final joint in situ.

You hero - its little tips like this that make all the difference.

Thanks Terryplumb.

Until next time,

Close the thread down boys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back