How would you tackle removing THIS concrete post?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to remove this concrete gate post that sits at the end of our driveway. As you can see from the photos it's surrounded by concrete and tarmac (footpath outside of the gate)

The post is approx 8cm square.
The concrete under it looks approx 7cm deep.

How would you tackle this?

Powerfmtook wise I own a 115mm grinder but have access to a 230mm angle grinder.

I am torn between either
1: Cutting around the post (5-6 inches) and trying to lift it out. I don't think it would work and I risk damaging the tarmac.
2: Cutting the post as close to the ground as possible and then cutting down at an angle to remove as much of the metal rods as possible and then level it out with concrete/stones etc.
3: ? Any ideas?

I'm trying to do it on a bit of a budget.
20240514_150846.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hit the side of it, close to the ground with a sledgehammer. That will shatter the concrete and expose the steel reinforcing wires. Cut the wires with a grinder and cutting disk. That should leave it almost level with the ground. You can attack what is left, with a sds, plus chisel bit, or attempt to grind it below ground level, then simply cover it over with sand and cement.

Those concrete posts break quite easily with a sledgehammer, I broke lots of them in my garden.

Sponsored Links
Hit the side of it, close to the ground with a sledgehammer. That will shatter the concrete and expose the steel reinforcing wires. Cut the wires with a grinder and cutting disk. That should leave it almost level with the ground. You can attack what is left, with a sds, plus chisel bit, or attempt to grind it below ground level, then simply cover it over with sand and cement.

Those concrete posts break quite easily with a sledgehammer, I broke lots of them in my garden.
Do this (y)

This is the easiest solution and won't damage surrounding tarmac.
It will be a lot deeper than 7cm in the ground and if you try pulling it out you'll end up with a crater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back