Howdens Decorative Kitchen Plinth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, has anyone out there ever fitted Howdens decorative kitchen plinth? It comes as 180mm height which then makes the overall worktop height above the max height adjustment of a range cooker.
Height to top of base unit (with 180mm plinth) - 900mm plus worktop - 30mm = 930mm.
Options - trim and seal plinth, sit range on board to raise height (but is 930mm too high for worktop?
Any suggestions welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's higher than standard, but some families of tall stature prefer it like that or even higher.
I fitted a kitchen once for a family of giants, he was 6'8", wife 6'1", kids over 6' at 15 years of age.
They wanted the worktop at 1.10 metre.
I had plinth made to measure and built in appliances.
Free standing appliances would've required either a platform to sit on or a trim at the top to cover the gap with the worktop.
A range cooker was not an option, or would've looked silly.
In your case, you trim the plinths, seal them and install.
Make sure the cut is facing up, not in contact with the floor.

Thanks for the swift reply, the issue I have is that the decorative plinth (which sits flush with the doors) is of an ogee style so would need the bottom edge trimmed. Would neat PVA or silicon be best here?

I would use several coats of oil based varnish, finish it off with silicone and use a plinth trim.
Howdens sells them, or better, they used to sell them up to a couple of years ago.

Sponsored Links
Hi, how did you get on with these plinths? I’m currently fitting them in my own kitchen. But I wondered how you did it when running into the end of a base end panel? I want to butt it up to the end panel but all the instruction say to return it around the panel but I’d have to buy another length to do that? Or does it sit flush with the doors? Cheers!

Hi, the kitchen fitting manual and also the instruction sheet within the plinth pack does not account for fitting between or up to decor end panels. The answer is that the you will need to trim the rail that screws to the underside of the cabinets else the decor plinth will sit proud of the decor end panels. What this does mean though is that the top of the decor plinth sits back a little under the door. Your only other alternative is to adopt the regular fitting method but as you say you’ll need to purchase more lengths of plinth. Hope this helps, never straightforward is it?

Yes I thought as much! And at just over £100 a length I don’t fancy buying anymore! Do you have any photos you can show me please of how yours looks under the doors etc? Never straightforward with howdens instructions

599A4153-0B0E-4983-A048-2FA1123B144B.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back