Thinner worktop dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to replace my current 40mm particle type kitchen worktop with 30mm quartz. I am getting this professionally fitted. The new worktop top surface needs to be at the same height as the original to keep it flush with the cooker glass lid, (the cooker cannot be lowered). There are some other reasons that make it desireable to keep the same height as well. I have two options, readjust all of the base units to raise them by 10mm or fix sheets of 10mm ply to the tops of the units to raise the height. The latter is the easiest but the former probably the most obvious and is probably what people will recommend I do. One disadvantage of raising the cabinets is that the old plinths will now have a gap to the cabinet bottoms so will have to be replaced. Just interested in other peoples views on the best thing to do.

Sponsored Links
I am going to replace my current 40mm particle type kitchen worktop with 30mm quartz. I am getting this professionally fitted. The new worktop top surface needs to be at the same height as the original to keep it flush with the cooker glass lid, (the cooker cannot be lowered). There are some other reasons that make it desireable to keep the same height as well. I have two options, readjust all of the base units to raise them by 10mm or fix sheets of 10mm ply to the tops of the units to raise the height. The latter is the easiest but the former probably the most obvious and is probably what people will recommend I do. One disadvantage of raising the cabinets is that the old plinths will now have a gap to the cabinet bottoms so will have to be replaced. Just interested in other peoples views on the best thing to do.
Depends on the layout , a gap above plinths will not always be easily visible.

if the cooker is in cabinet rather than floor standing raising the cabinet will raize the cooker the 10mm

Sponsored Links
The cooker is floor standing with no further adjustment downwards. My original plan was to raise the units but it occurred to me that there was another option, that of adding a spacer. I asked in case anyone saw an advantage to using a ply spacer. If there is none, raising the cabinets it will be.

The cooker is floor standing with no further adjustment downwards. My original plan was to raise the units but it occurred to me that there was another option, that of adding a spacer. I asked in case anyone saw an advantage to using a ply spacer. If there is none, raising the cabinets it will be.

Raise the cabs, deeper point is if necessary , much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back