Which worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to replace my worktops in my kitchen and am looking for a bit of advice please.

Ideally, I'd have granite or quartz but it's not possible due not being able to get it in to the kitchen (original laminate worktop had to go in through the window) plus I probably couldn't afford it!!

I've seen worktops that are a chipboard core, veneered with granite or quartz. Anyone used them and what are your opinions? I'd went to a local supplier and he said that he'd stopped keeping them due to problems with the brand he was using - so I know to steer clear of that make.

Any opinions please?

Sponsored Links
I have used Earthstone which is something like you describe and the result was great. You need to be able to handle a router for adding curved corners or draining slots if you have a Belfast sink. Other than that, normal electric tools can be used for cutting, sanding etc. Any end edges are glued on using colour matched glue (supplied) and then sanded down and you cannot see the join.

It is available from B& Queue

Would definitely recommend.

An extra tip: If you do have to glue edges on, make sure that the printed code on the back of the edge does not appear higher than the top of the worktop, otherwise it will be visible when the edge is sanded down to the correct level.

Thank you. The tops that have the granite or quartz veneer - can they be fitted the same way or is it different because of the granite?

Sponsored Links
Thank you. The tops that have the granite or quartz veneer - can they be fitted the same way or is it different because of the granite?

if you mean the different colour finishes in the Earthstone range, then they are all treated in the same way but if you mean a different manufacturer, then I can't really comment as I have not fitted them.

All I know is that I was originally worried about fitting Earthstone as I had never done it before and they are more expensive than a standard worktop but I was surprised how easy it was.

It might be worth you posting the question on the woodwork forum as well (don't copy & paste your original post though or you will be in trouble with the mods) :D

:D :D Thanks. Wasn't sure if I'd posted in the right bit or not. The stuff I was meaning is Ezystone (Homebase) or Apollo Quicktop - it's actually quartz on a wooden sub frame. It's expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth it or if it has it's own problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back