Howdens/MFI Kitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone please throw some light on the current relationship between Howdens and MFI?

I understand they are now apparently seperate but do Howdens still supply MFI?

We have found a kitchen we like at MFI (Tazetta) but would rather buy from Howdens if they do the same range with a different name.

Also, looking at the Howden's price list they currently quote a 50% trade discount. Can this usually be improved on?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
why not look at the howdens catalogue / website to see if its the same.

as for discount ask them, depends how nice you are and how much you are spending

Thanks......Unfortunately, its not that easy to tell from catalogues as colour and finish differences etc can be hard to spot.

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm if Howdens are still supplying MFI?

Hi

Can anyone please throw some light on the current relationship between Howdens and MFI?

I understand they are now apparently seperate but do Howdens still supply MFI?

We have found a kitchen we like at MFI (Tazetta) but would rather buy from Howdens if they do the same range with a different name.

Also, looking at the Howden's price list they currently quote a 50% trade discount. Can this usually be improved on?

Thanks in advance

MFI Group owned MFI Retail & then set up Howdens as its trade arm.
The group changed its name to Galiform, retained Howdens and sold the retail business.
Galiform continued to supply MFI until last year. Galiform kitchens are now only sold ia Howdens and MFI have their own product. They'renot compatible and in many cases not comparable in terms of quality, even if the look is the same.
Also, gone are the days where MFI would spend time with the customer planning and then the customer walk straight to Howdens to buy the same thing. Tazetta is MFI only - you're finding that MFI is no longera showroom for Howdens !

I've recently bought a large Space Cream from MFI. Howdens equivilent was not cheaper, although they did tell my builder they'd match the price.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the good info

I have to agree that even allowing for a hefty discount at Howdens on a comparable Kitchen, MFI is coming up cheaper!

I get 70% discount from my local Howdens, I do have an account though and this only applies to kitchen units and joinery materials, all others are discounted up to 50%.

Tony

IMO Howdens are better just for the fact that the carcasses are ready built :D
Far better than b****y flat packs :evil:

Until you get one built on the side of a hill, all lopsided and twisted :evil: I agree though, the saving is huge when you consider the time spent putting them all together.

Howdens doors are good as well because they are all stored laying down flat, never had a warped Howdens door, Wickes and B&Q are a nightmare for warped doors, I have taken them back for customers before, and they have refused to exchange them, saying we stored them wrong!!!

Tony

Find someone with Trade Depot 20% off account. Get plan done for free at Howdens. Take to Trade Depot and ask them to replicate plan. Buy kitchen.

I did my 18 unit Kitchen for £2k including integrated F/F from Trade Depot.

Howdens more expensive than you think, and it's the builder that gets the discount - not the buyer. Check the quotes and you'll see.

Just throw in my six pennorth: Recently fitted a flat-pack kitchen, clients got the whole lot from MFI.

Firstly: quality was poor to say the least, most of the fittings going into cheapo woodchip felt very fragile and in some cases pulled out without any undue pressure, most of the screwing had to be done by hand rather than leccy just to be safe. - I may be a bit belt & braces, but a fair few extra screws went in before I felt confident that units weren't going to collapse.

Secondly: customer service was appalling, clients spent 6 weeks from original order trying to get a)what they ordered, b) replacing damaged parts and c) returning stuff that hadn't been ordered. Granted some of the damaged parts could have been done in transit, but not all and its the sellers responsibility to get stuff delivered in good nick. I fitted the kitchen while they were away on holiday and even I ended up with a dozen or so phone calls and eight deliveries - nothing was taken back on return and by the time I was finished there were probably more packs waiting to go back than I started off with - including 47 door handles! Nightmare for the clients working out what they had paid for and what MFI had chucked on the bill!

I do a fair bit of flat pack stuff and after that I wouldn't consider MFI if I ever got round to doing my own kitchen.

My experience of Howdens.
Mate is developer with trade account so bought through him.
Ordered Tuesday delivered Thursday.
Cupboard handles-some wrong size and one extra drawer pack. Popped down to depot and swapped 'em round.
Man on end of phone who planned it to answer a couple of queries.
Bought Bosch appliences online, they were cheaper but the delivery was crap to say the least (kitchenscience)
Couldn't find taps anywhere cheaper.
One happy Howdens customer :D Oh yeh...and one happy joiner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back