Howdens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, I am bidding on a biggish job, the customer is buying kitchen from Howdens providing an account holder is fitting the kitchen. So customer has had quote from another bidder whom has an account with Howdens for kitchen including installation. I have now approached Howdens and requested a quote for the same kitchen. I do quite a lot of business with this branch of Howdens yet they were really cagey with me.

The price they have given me is a lot higher than the other bidder, "I know his price including installation". Business is business iI appreciate that, but I feel that Howdens are favouring the other fitter " maybe he spends more money with them.

If iI were to take the business to another Howdens branch do you think I could get a better deal, do Howdens compete against each other do you think?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Worth a try, How would another Branch know it was the same job ?

And if there is a big difference in price it would be worth reporting back to the Head Office that the first branch were "Price Rigging" for their benefit

I would presume their interlinked "computer" so whatever transaction I make in one branch would show on my account in another branch. The kitchen has been quoted on my account! I am just going to go and ask them, thank you for your guidance all the same :D

I would presume their interlinked "computer" so whatever transaction I make in one branch would show on my account in another branch. The kitchen has been quoted on my account! I am just going to go and ask them, thank you for your guidance all the same :D

Its a different job, coincidence that the units are the same !

Maybe they could beat another Branches Quote, it depends on how the Manager views his commission on sales !

Sponsored Links
If its on your account they will give you the same price from the other branch ,
Been there got the tea shirt etc. etc.

The other guy has got the better price for one of 2 reasons

1. he spends more with Howdens than you do
2. He is known in the branch and gives Kickbacks to the staff
3. He does both of the above

Sounds like your local Howdens favour your competition.
I recently won a kitchen quote against a competitor on the same Howdens kitchen. My branch stated they will give me the same price as the other fitter, worked out well for me as he had told them to mark the price up lots more than i would have.

The best way to get the price of your kitchen quote down is to get one of the "trade" kitchen suppliers (Howdens, Magnet, Benchmarx & B&Q Tradepoint) to do you a design, you then take the quote and design to all the other suppliers and see who gives you the best price making it quite clear that you will buy the cheapest quote.

All these suppliers boast of being able to beat any quote and as an additional bonus you will also have any mistakes or errors in the plan pointed out to you.

Evening, I am bidding on a biggish job, the customer is buying kitchen from Howdens providing an account holder is fitting the kitchen. So customer has had quote from another bidder whom has an account with Howdens for kitchen including installation. I have now approached Howdens and requested a quote for the same kitchen. I do quite a lot of business with this branch of Howdens yet they were really cagey with me.

The price they have given me is a lot higher than the other bidder, "I know his price including installation". Business is business iI appreciate that, but I feel that Howdens are favouring the other fitter " maybe he spends more money with them.

If iI were to take the business to another Howdens branch do you think I could get a better deal, do Howdens compete against each other do you think?

Cheers

Seems to me that the gross topline price might be the same - but the amount of discount applied is different depending on the volume of business for each trade customer. That's normal throughout the building industry across virtually every trade - I've seen subcontracted work be inclusive of "free issue" material (the subcontract became a "labour only" subcontract) because the subcontractor doesn't have anywhere near the level of discount with the very same merchant that the larger contractor has that is subcontracting the work down to the subcontractor - we are talking big differences such as 30% versus 70% discount - and nobody can live with that kind of difference. The percentages here will inevitably be that bit different and whatever they are but it wouldn't surprise me if the principle and the overall gist is the same.

they compete much the same as any multi national company of any industry.

They all sell at different prices and deals. Try it you will be surprised. I have known wholesalers of the same company actually competing against each other and knowing it. It is impossible to actually give same price and deal to everyone, never works like that.

Howdens give you s price for the gear, then ask what mark up do you want us to put on for you!

It's a way of having the customer off!

Sponsored Links
Back