Howdens PROBLEM!!

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
I have a cash only account with howdens, I installed a kitchen roughly 6 months ago for a client which had delivery problems and pricing issues.

The Customer PAID for the kitchen with their card/credit.
Since then the credit company has withheld 1100 from howdens and has refunded the customer directly due to the defective and missing items, (appliances) which the customer has purchased elswhere.

Howdens is now chasing me for the remainder payment, ?
Where do i stand on this has anyone had any experience with something like this.
The client did not receive the items in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sounds like the C C company didn't realise the contract was between the OP and the supplier, and paid up.

Blup

The Customer Paid, i always get the customer to pay. Can they chase me up with this because its on my account.??

I was not notified that there is a due balance to pay and that a refund has been made, until i received a demand for funds. I also had around £400 credit on my account from refunds i had made and that has been taken. All without any confirmation with myself

I have a cash only account with howdens, I installed a kitchen roughly 6 months ago for a client which had delivery problems and pricing issues.

The Customer PAID for the kitchen with their card/credit.
Since then the credit company has withheld 1100 from howdens and has refunded the customer directly due to the defective and missing items, (appliances) which the customer has purchased elswhere.

Howdens is now chasing me for the remainder payment, ?
Where do i stand on this has anyone had any experience with something like this.
The client did not receive the items in the first place.

So you allow your client to order materials on your account, and pay from their own funds?
I would guess you know the answer, in your heart, you are screwed.

But, I also assume that the reason for this arrangement is to avoid entering the VAT threshold. When trying to avoid your responsibilities, always remember that there is nearly always a downside risk.

There seems to be more to this story, though. Did you assist he client in sorting out the missing material, or abandon them? Did they get fed up with you, so resorted to another tradesman? How are Howdens charging for missing gear?

But, I also assume that the reason for this arrangement is to avoid entering the VAT threshold. When trying to avoid your responsibilities, always remember that there is nearly always a downside risk.
There is unfortunately and often with Howdens. I have had all sorts of issues with Howdens not crediting returned stuff or charging for phantom items, in respect to my customers using my account. It's frustrating and maddening so you need to keep your cool and have a good rapport with the branch manager.

I'm a very good payer (hate having debt) so I have a good rapport with anyone I have ever paid money to.

[QUOTE="noseall, post: 4946793, member: 28558"I'm a very good payer (hate having debt) so I have a good rapport with anyone I have ever paid money to.[/QUOTE]

Totally
agree.

Andy

Looks like you've lost out this time.

I'm future you need to be there and confirm the delivery before it's signed for or the DN suitably annotated. Shortages and errors need to be notified ASAP, normally by the person who paid.

Only once have I let the customer pay the supplier direct - that was cause they wanted to use a specific supplier with whom I didn't have an account.

Looks like you've lost out this time.

I'm future you need to be there and confirm the delivery before it's signed for or the DN suitably annotated. Shortages and errors need to be notified ASAP, normally by the person who paid.

Only once have I let the customer pay the supplier direct - that was cause they wanted to use a specific supplier with whom I didn't have an account.

And that being the main point - it was not on YOUR account.

the reason guys get punters to
Pay direct to their account is to avoid the VAT threshold. But every “fiddle”, even legal ones, has potential perils.

I have a mate who did this. He had a SE team, and got the punter to write cheques to each guy in the team. He told the punter to pay the merchant so they would get the trade discount. But they paid a specific figure supplied by him, not a merchant invoice. This always represented a profit for him, which was credited to his balance.

Probably perfectly legal, but if the punters cheque failed, it would be down to him

Who checked the delivery items against the delivery note ? You or the customer ?

If you did and they were missing what did you do to rectify the problem ?

How did you rectify the problem for YOUR customer .......you can hardly blame them for being unhappy, very unhappy.
If you'd have sorted out the missing items for your customer would you be in this situation now ?

How has the job been left after six months ? From your customers perspective ?

Sponsored Links
Back