Howling noise from flu, brand new baxi duotech boiler fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please!
I have just had a new Baxi duo tech combi boiler fitted to exisiting heating system.When it fires up there is a howling noise outside from the flu which gets louder until the boiler has met its demand.The noise is only outside from the flu only and gets loud to the point im having to turn the boiler off at night so the neighbours do not complain.Inside the house all seems fine.

I have spoke to the plumber who fitted this and at the moment he hasnt got a clue...i found a thread saying it could be incorrect gas/air ratio but he says it can not be a mixture problem because the boiler works that out itself and rectifies accordingly?? Any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
If it has always done it I'd have to suspect the gas pipe is undersized. How long, how many bends, other appliances and what size is the pipe?

Any advice please!
I have just had a new Baxi duo tech combi boiler fitted to exisiting heating system.When it fires up there is a howling noise outside from the flu which gets louder until the boiler has met its demand.The noise is only outside from the flu only and gets loud to the point im having to turn the boiler off at night so the neighbours do not complain.Inside the house all seems fine.

I have spoke to the plumber who fitted this and at the moment he hasnt got a clue...i found a thread saying it could be incorrect gas/air ratio but he says it can not be a mixture problem because the boiler works that out itself and rectifies accordingly?? Any suggestions please.

No it doesnt the boiler has to be set up on site, it sounds like undersized gas pipework

Sponsored Links
Your installer sounds like an idiot.

Of course it will burn and rectify even if the combustion is off slightly.

Dont think that is what the Op meant Dan I read it as the plumber saying that if the ratio was out the boiler would rectify the problem automatically could be reading it wrong though , been a long day

True, but there is still a manual adjustment procedure in the manual so auto adjustment isn't foolproof.

Undersized pipe work could cause this too I agree - there is only so much adjustment that can be done by the boiler.

I have always thought this self adjusting boiler lark more to do with variable gas quality

Guess it is for lazy installers and servicemen too ;)

M12, there are a lot of cowboys in Essex! Did he do this as a cash job on the side?

Do you think your installer is really gas registered? Do you know his reg no. ?

Has he even completed the Benchmark Certificate at the back of the boiler book?

We dont think that he owns the flue gas analyser instrument that he needs to set up the boiler!

Where did you find him?

Tony

If it has always done it I'd have to suspect the gas pipe is undersized. How long, how many bends, other appliances and what size is the pipe?

the boiler has been in approx 3 weeks,gas from main runs 16ft to the point where he has t'd off verticallay 8 inches then right angle,through the wall and across inside wall approx 20 inches then right angle upwards 2ft into the boiler.We have a gas hob only which is fed from the pipe he has t'd off from.The pipe is 22mm,it only seems to narrow off where it joins the boiler.
Hope this makes sense.

Your installer sounds like an idiot.

Of course it will burn and rectify even if the combustion is off slightly.

Dont think that is what the Op meant Dan I read it as the plumber saying that if the ratio was out the boiler would rectify the problem automatically could be reading it wrong though , been a long day

Yes your correct. I spoke to the plumber he claimed that the boiler rectifies itself/auto adjusting. I have looked at the manual tonight and it quite clearly states a manual check of inlet pressure should be done.

M12, there are a lot of cowboys in Essex! Did he do this as a cash job on the side?

Do you think your installer is really gas registered? Do you know his reg no. ?

Has he even completed the Benchmark Certificate at the back of the boiler book?

We dont think that he owns the flue gas analyser instrument that he needs to set up the boiler!

Where did you find him?

Tony
This one makes me feel like a proper idiot!The house was re flooded and contractors have recently finished they contact was from these guys who where MITY approved,in answer to the majority of your questions im saying no,and he charged 200 cash to fit the boiler.Just found the certificate/commisioning check list in the book..its blank!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back