How's this for service?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter-in-law recently asked if I could look at her friend's Acer laptop, which was playing up - going very slow was the main fault.

I took it home and started it up. Slow didn't describe it - a snail would have been quicker. Checkdisk followed by Defrag was my first thought.

Checkdisk revealed a long list of damaged clusters. So I ran it again - several times and got damaged clusters every time! Eventually the PC would not even start; there was a Smart disk failure message.

The label on the back said that it was manufactured in March 2010, so I assumed it would be out of warranty. I used the manufacturer's online system to enquire how much it would cost to repair. Back came a reply saying that, according to their records, the laptop was still in warranty. Arrangements were then made to return it (at their cost) for repair.

The laptop was handed to the courier last Wednesday evening.
I had an email on Friday saying it had been received.
Yesterday morning I had another email saying at had been repaired.
This morning, at about 11am the laptop arrived back.

That's a seven day turn-round, four of which were public holidays!

Not only had the disk been replaced, but all the software originally provided had been installed. All I had to do was connect it to the internet and get all the updates.

Sponsored Links
My daughter-in-law recently asked if I could look at her friend's Acer laptop, which was playing up - going very slow was the main fault.

I took it home and started it up. Slow didn't describe it - a snail would have been quicker. Checkdisk followed by Defrag was my first thought.

Checkdisk revealed a long list of damaged clusters. So I ran it again - several times and got damaged clusters every time! Eventually the PC would not even start; there was a Smart disk failure message.

The label on the back said that it was manufactured in March 2010, so I assumed it would be out of warranty. I used the manufacturer's online system to enquire how much it would cost to repair. Back came a reply saying that, according to their records, the laptop was still in warranty. Arrangements were then made to return it (at their cost) for repair.

The laptop was handed to the courier last Wednesday evening.
I had an email on Friday saying it had been received.
Yesterday morning I had another email saying at had been repaired.
This morning, at about 11am the laptop arrived back.

That's a seven day turn-round, four of which were public holidays!

Not only had the disk been replaced, but all the software originally provided had been installed. All I had to do was connect it to the internet and get all the updates.

Name and shame this company. ;)

Respect to Acer- been some time since I have had the misfortune of dealing with them.

Best service I have ever had was from HP. Clients new laptop's power supply was running extremely hot. I rang HP at 4pm- new power brick turned up 9.30 AM the next day (via Amsterdam)!!!

Sponsored Links
Best service I have ever had was from HP.
Yes, I found HP very helpful when I was managing the IT system at our local college.

On one occasion I was on the phone to them for over an hour trying to get their network management software to work correctly. I had received an email telling me to phone them at 4.30pm on an 0800 number, which I did. When the chap answered he had an obvious American accent, so I asked where he was speaking from. The reply? California! It was 8.30 in the morning there.

Good service indeed. However Acer make shoddy laptops so they're probably geared up for dealing with customer repairs better than other brands.
Good news for you though, some of the other customer services are extremely bad.

Yes, I found HP very helpful when I was managing the IT system at our local college.

Overall I rate HP but they have been tossers in absurd-um on one occasion. Clients MOBO died- in warranty- I rang THD (in the sub continent)- I explained that I could not contact support via their site as the site would not accept his serial number- two operatives told me to contact them via their site and hung up!!!

Posting gripes via their great forum often results in a call from a UK based member of staff.

Unfortunately convincing them that there was a problem became farcical and at one stage the UK agent maligned me, suggesting I had relayed a different set of faults.

That singular negative experience would not stop me from recommending them however.

I have never found Acer easy to deal with but as I said it has been a while- sadly we often forget about QoS when buying. As I type this I am mindful of the fact that I have a £2300 Vaio and Sony have always provided me with crap service when the need to contact them has arisen. Great products- Sh!t£ support ...

Back