hrm oil burner/boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
dunno if anyone can shed any light on my probs b4 i call in da heating engineer?
1. when i switch boiler to off at 'lifestyle' control box, sometimes amber light on boiler wont go out and boiler carries on burning regardless(ongoing) doesnt happen every time but when it does i have to switch it all off at elec supply in airing cupboard( could this be motorised valve trouble)/
2. boiler doesnt react when i turn c/h thermostat up(clicked). i have to turn up burner temp control to make boiler ignite from idle. trouble with this is temp on burner ends up at max in order for c/h to come on eventually.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a sluggish/ailing motorised valve to me.

Fit a new motor head to the valve.

thanks for the replies, how do i identify which valve is faulty as there are two? also, they are drayton valves and quite expensive, presumably i can replace the motor inside for cheapness or is this unadvisable?

Sponsored Links
Thats the Trick my friend work that out and you will understand how we all make a living!!!! ;)

Follow the pipework from the circulating pump and see which valve feeds the pipework that goes around the radiators. NOT the one that goes to the HW tank. It's the radiators valve that you want.

Changing the motor inside is cheaper but in my experience a waste of time because there is usually also a fault with the gearing/mechanism/auxiliary contacts that you won't have addressed.

Changing the motor head will guarantee that the valve is going to work as it should.....unless the valve itself is damaged or obstructed in some way.

Oh and ignore the smug beggers on this forum. They have a somewhat misguided sense of their superiority! :LOL: (Actually they're just simple plumbers and boiler techies)

thanks for all the help. one last thing though, when i said the boiler wont shut down sometimes, this actually happens as well when i just have the water control 'on' on the controls?? so can i definately presume its the valve suggested previously?
ps. i might go and do a course next weekend :LOL: :LOL: and set up as a heating engineer!! thanks again you guys ;)

go on and answer my last post,pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze

happy new year! my plumber of 30 years experience( also my uncle)reckons the motorised valve goin to my water tank is (sort of ) not really necessary? if so can i swap them over instead of replacing c/h one? also presumably by swapping them i will know for sure if c/h one is indeed faulty?
i know this should have been dealt with months ago but its turning into a wee hobby/project for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can i swap motorised valves over to check if c/h one is faulty?

are you all out working on insurance jobs due to cold weather cos i aint gettin no response, boohoo :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back