oil burner restart

mate get yourself an OFTEC technician to fully service your boiler which I understand has not been serviced for 6 years....

Sponsored Links
left it for an hour and switched back on and its working again :rolleyes:
cant wait til monday for the fella to come and service it, i think hes gonna be sick of lstenin to me by the time ive finished tellin him all crack im havin with it :LOL:

Best thing is to tell him of the problems before he starts, there's nothing worse than turning up for service with a number of other jobs planned out to be told as you're finishing up "I've been having this problem but thought the service would fix it" - it needs to be fixed then serviced.

thanks for the response, latest problem now is that boiler doesnt recognise when i switch water on at contrls, but does recognise heating??

Sponsored Links
well, happy new year

to one and all!
had me boiler serviced, new solenoid?? however im still merrily pressing restart on a regular basis!! the engineer said it could be the photocell or the pump was faulty but unfortunately hes been seriously ill since and had to let me down a couple of visits. however, i will deal with that on monday the 4th.
my problem on this new years day is that when i pressed restart there was no click and light stayed lit and boiler never ignited! i didnt fancy spending all weekend in a freezin house so decided to have a mess about with it!!!!
well, i switched everything off then went out to press restart while no light on control box- it clicked- i went and switched all back on and it reignited for me!! is this a common trick to try and does it highlight any further what the problem is?

It takes a minute or so to reset the lockout button once the lamp has lit - after that you're good to give it another go.
If your boiler man checked out the pump, checked the pressure and cleaned the filter then that should be fine.
Solenoid coils on the pump are the usual suspects at first but you say that you have a new one.
The photocell needs to be clean and able to see the flame. However they can fail too, and not allow the control box to switch correctly.
You should not need to press the lockout on any regular basis at all - but I'm wondering how thorough the service has been. There must have been a smoke test and flue gas analysis done, surely?
John :)

That's the problem with intermittant faults, it could be a number of things, the best thing is for the oilman to see it lock out and work away from there. Best thing is to get someone out who will hopefully have the parts on the van.
Does sound like a relay sticking in the control box but something else may be causing that to happen.

I have just read booner's saga which is virtually identical to my own experiences also with a Wallstar burner. The problems have gone on since November 2010 and my engineer who installed a replacement boiler core two years ago and a replacement burner serviced the boiler, replaced the solenoid on the oil pump and still we had these very same problems. He then fitted a Tiger Loop and that also failed to solve the problem finally on the 4th January 2011 he told me that he just didn't know what was wrong and he couldn't do anything else for me...just one hout before we were due to leave on a two week holiday!!

On my return, I contacted HRM Boilers who were very helpful and offerred a few ideas but then suggested another fairly local engineer. He came and has virtually lived with us for the last two weeks, replacing the transformer, control box and then finally fitting a longer photo electric sensor....bingo!

In between he put us on a 50 litre temporary tank whilst he checked our underground tank by pressurising it with an air compressor. It held well over 100PSI for an hour or so thereby proving that that wasn't the problem. He used a powerful bilge pump to re-prime the 30 meter oil line
and re-connected the main tank.

He fitted a new remote fire valve with sensor, new fuel lines, new filter, new non-return valve on the oil tank. He advised us that the old fire valve did not meet insurance requirements and our insurance company might not have paid up should we have made a fire claim...scary!

This man is a gem and thank you to HRM boilers for introducing us to him, but I haven't had his bill yet!!!! He is of course an Oftec registered engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back