Huge gas pressure drop between meter and boiler. Help!

Yes, it is an expense that should have been factored at the start. It is part of the job!
He cocked up and is trying to lay his shortcoming on to the OP. He may be better explaining everything honestly and hope the OP may be willing to, say, pay for the materials .

The trouble is,BLoo, that you do not understand the requirements and responsibilities of an RGI, and there is no readon as in why you should.

Unfortunately this is now my conclusion too. It seems that corners were cut by using the previous set up. Hopefully we can come to an arrangement but he can re site the boiler for free if it doesn’t meet the specs.

Sponsored Links
I had to get a new boiler as the other was deemed unsafe.
Who deemed it unsafe, the installer by any chance? For background, what make, and rating was the old boiler?
re site the boiler for free
I suppose you mean resite it nearer to the gas meter? And then reroute the water pipes. Without knowing the details of your house, it seems unlikely to be a goer.

The replacement of the boiler was just over £5k high struck me as a lot but seemingly I had to get a new boiler as the other was deemed unsafe.

That £5K sounds to be rather a lot, unless there was other works involved - who claimed your original one was unsafe?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That £5K sounds to be rather a lot, unless there was other works involved - who claimed your original one was unsafe?

Just the replacement boiler which was the same make- just a newer model. He wanted to put a Worcester in but I wanted to stick with Vaillant. The boiler was around 12 years old (installed 2007) and the boiler and the pipes were kettling (if that's the right word- either that or clanking, shuddering). initially it was a service as it had been a few years but I was told it was unsafe and it was his duty of care to shut it down (and pay for the work done) or replace it. This was in a cold december, he had been recommended by neighbour and I went with his quote to replace the boiler. For the record it was £5k and then some more down the line as it turned out not to be wired correctly. Good old DIYNOT helped me with that problem.

£5K for a straight boiler change, ripped off big style so i would not be having any qualms whatsoever at getting him back through gas safe to rectify at his own expense

As I suspected, you were right royally ripped off. My Vaillant 418 boiler swap cost me sub £2000, butN wasn't a straight swap - not far off though. Ideal for Vailant swap, using existing all working controls.

I would not hesitate to report him to GS, he has done you no favours and don't pay him any more money.

As I suspected, you were right royally ripped off. My Vaillant 418 boiler swap cost me sub £2000, butN wasn't a straight swap - not far off though. Ideal for Vailant swap, using existing all working controls.

I would not hesitate to report him to GS, he has done you no favours and don't pay him any more money.

You will be please to know that I have done just that. GS will be coming around to visit and see if it was installed properly. If I overpaid (even considering London prices) so be it but if fitted incorrectly and I have overpaid then it will get messy for him.

P
£5K for a straight boiler change, ripped off big style so i would not be having any qualms whatsoever at getting him back through gas safe to rectify at his own expense
Just the replacement boiler which was the same make- just a newer model. He wanted to put a Worcester in but I wanted to stick with Vaillant. The boiler was around 12 years old (installed 2007) and the boiler and the pipes were kettling (if that's the right word- either that or clanking, shuddering). initially it was a service as it had been a few years but I was told it was unsafe and it was his duty of care to shut it down (and pay for the work done) or replace it. This was in a cold december, he had been recommended by neighbour and I went with his quote to replace the boiler. For the record it was £5k and then some more down the line as it turned out not to be wired correctly. Good old DIYNOT helped me with that problem.

Yep, I take back my efforts to encourage a soft approach (assuming everything yiu say is accurate). Either he rectifies or you involve gas Safe. Start writing notes to present your case - you don't want to keep altering the story ad timeline as things come to mind.

BTW, we can not know if the boiler was dangerous - noisiness is not necessarily an indicator - but we are actually not allowed to turn anything off without the users permission. If they refuse, and the boiler is dangerous - we have to contact Gas Safe who gave the power of entry. He should also have left a warning notice and labelled the boiler.

Good luck

EDIT: When I wrote Gas Safe (powers if entry), I meant Cadent/Transporter

Last edited:
You will be please to know that I have done just that. GS will be coming around to visit and see if it was installed properly. If I overpaid (even considering London prices) so be it but if fitted incorrectly and I have overpaid then it will get messy for him.

I was writing as you posted! Let us know wat happens

P

Yep, I take back my efforts to encourage a soft approach (assuming everything yiu say is accurate). Either he rectifies or you involve gas Safe. Start writing notes to present your case - you don't want to keep altering the story ad timeline as things come to mind.

BTW, we can not know if the boiler was dangerous - noisiness is not necessarily an indicator - but we are actually not allowed to turn anything off without the users permission. If they refuse, and the boiler is dangerous - we have to contact Gas Safe who gave the power of entry. He should also have left a warning notice and labelled the boiler.

Good luck

To be fair he did have the warning notice stuck on. Same as last week when the whole pressure drop came up. Then came the 'I hate to be the bearer of bad news'....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back