Huge gas pressure drop between meter and boiler. Help!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
4 options- either the supply pipe is undersized and always has been, there's an extra appliance been fitted to the line, an obstruction has developed in the line or there's a leak.
Did plumber do a static test? (isolate all appliances, test pressure at meter, isolate supply, test 5 minutes later)- that would tell you if there's a leak in the pipe.
And as someone else, can you report on the size of the supply pipe, the leg lengths and what bends there are (and whether the bends are elbows or wide radius)?

4 options- either the supply pipe is undersized and always has been, there's an extra appliance been fitted to the line, an obstruction has developed in the line or there's a leak.
Did plumber do a static test? (isolate all appliances, test pressure at meter, isolate supply, test 5 minutes later)- that would tell you if there's a leak in the pipe.
And as someone else, can you report on the size of the supply pipe, the leg lengths and what bends there are (and whether the bends are elbows or wide radius)?

I think one can assume that you are not a gas service engineer?

1mb is the max drop when installing. If you come across it on a job, excessive pressure drop is only NCS unless it is interfering with another appliance.
My guess is the pressure drop wasn't measured correctly the previous time (ie under flow conditions) and it hasn't changed. In that case, and since the boiler works normally, the OP doesn't have a problem.

My guess is the pressure drop wasn't measured correctly the previous time (ie under flow conditions) and it hasn't changed. In that case, and since the boiler works normally, the OP doesn't have a problem.

If the installer did it wrongly one year ago, then he needs to be pulled up.
At the moment tge meter pressure appears to be 20mb - what happens if it falls to, say, 17mb?

If the installer did it wrongly one year ago, then he needs to be pulled up.

It was installed 2 years ago, and recently serviced by the plumber that installed it. We don't know who serviced it last year, when the 20mb at meter and boiler were obtained, but it's a fair bet it was the same guy. If the installer failed to meet the 1mb drop reg perhaps he should be pulled up, but unless Gas Safe or somebody hears about it, I don't suppose anything much will happen.
Treating it as a "come across" job, where excessive pressure drop is only NCS, presumably it's OK.

At the moment tge meter pressure appears to be 20mb - what happens if it falls to, say, 17mb?
As I understand it, pressure after the meter should be 21+/-2mb, so 17mb would be non-compliant and the gas supplier should rectify it. But if it did fall to 17mb, with pipe drop 20-13.5 = 6.5mb, so something like 11mb at the boiler, the boiler output would be down (unless it has a low-pressure cutout, I wouldn't know)

Brilliant. We Gas Service Engineers love it when punters do that. Surpassed only by those who tell us how long it should take.

I don't think he was suggesting one dies that with gas, he was talking about cars.

Though to be honest my experience with both suggests I'm better off doing both myself.

Although as luck would have it I have since found a very good gse that is able to think for himself and fix issues without just chucking parts at it, which is a rare occurrence.

Still trying to find a decent mechanic that hasn't retired...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back