Huge notch in bathroom joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I think I have a problem!

I am having a new bathroom installed and so far all of the underfloor pipe work has been done - the fitters are due back on Tuesday. This morning I decided to lift the floorboards to look at their work and noticed a huge notch in one of the joists to house the 2" plastic waste pipe for the shower.

The joist is 7" x 2.5" and the span is around 17ft.
The notch is roughly in the middle of the span and measures 3.5" deep and 7.5"long!

I have a few concerns:
1. Does the notch comply with building regs?
2. If not, how can it be fixed?
3. Is there any danger of the ceiling below coming down?

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
1. No it doesn't comply with any regulations let alone building regulations.
Mid span big notch out the top worst possible position. As a rule of thumb no notch should be deeper than 1/3 of the depth absolute maximum.

2. If you can, get some metal plates made up that can be fitted either side of the joist and be bolted through it. Make them to the depth of what's left of the joist below the pipe and extend it past the pipe by at least a foot either side more if you have room. This should keep the joist from splitting, get some decent sized bolts M12 say and bolt at approx. 6" centres. This is just a best guess design and tried to keep it simple.

3. I wouldn't think so timber tends to split and sag gradually so you'd know in advance of anything happening.

Get the plumber back and get him to sort it.

HTH

Alan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back