Huge Woody Weed, Growing Into Garden Wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have uploaded a picture.

The wall is double skinned. I went round to the next door neighbour and the wall has started bowing on their side but no evidence of the weed coming out.

The weed has definitely got in from my side and is growig inwards.

I need to make the wall safe and obviously get this weed out before it does more damage.

Can anyone tell me what I should do please?
IMG-20170305-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20170305-WA0000.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like you've sawn it off, right?
That should have killed it. If it does produce new shoots, wait till they're maybe 20cm long and spray with glyphosate.

You then have the problem of what to do with the wall. I fear your choice may be to either do nothing or to rebuild it from that point upwards. But hopefully others will comment on that.

Cut it again and paint on some sbk type weedkiller. Glyphosate will not work on very woody growth like that. You want to apply a woody weedkiller on a fresh cut.

As for the wall it may be possible to repair by removing a few courses and rebuilding then repointing a chunk of it. It will most likely crack again so rebuilding would be a better job. Very hard to know without seeing it in the flesh.

Sponsored Links
It was probably a Buddleia bush. Have one growing (small) on top of our brick garden wall difficult to get rid off.

You get so little green growth on a buddelija compared to the woody stems and roots that the plant cant take enough weedkiller in. Using a woody weedkiller with Triclopyr is much more effective. Glyphosate will often just stunt the growth but not fully kill it.

My husband sawed it back about 6 months ago and he soaked it with sbk. I don't know whether its dead or not. How do I tell?

Should I get a brick layer in to take the wall down? What worries me is that as the route is incredibly deep, if I cant get all the route out, will it start regrowing again?

My problem is, in a few weeks time, I move out of the house for good and I will be letting my home to a family. So I want to get it sorted now. If anything bad happens, I will be 200 miles away :(

I think I will see if I can get a brickie in to take the wall down, pull out the root and then rebuild.

Probably best. if youhave lots of wall above this you could prop it and repair by rebuilding a few courses but you cant use an acrow if there is only a few courses and therefore no real weight above.

Taking it down and rebuilding would be the best bet but if you can get that done then removing it and patching in would be ok. It doesnt look likes it going to fall down or anything.

Youll be amazed at how small the root is relative to the sixe of the plant.

I would take out as many of the bricks around the root as you can, dig the root out, and then rebuild the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back