Humax and ITVX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new LG smart TV 32" which I use with a Humax HDR-1100S freesat recorder bought in 2017. I could not get ITVX with the old 32" TV, nor can I get it with the new TV. I assume the ITVX isn't compatible with the old Humax but have no idea what to buy to get Freesat with a Humax recorder. I don't use the TV for anything other than usual programmes or on demand so am not interested in anything more detailed. I don't use Netflix or Prime etc., New Humax sets seem to be very expensive. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Honestly, you're better off buying a Roku or Amazon Fire TV. These are both TV streaming sticks. They plug in to the TV via a spare HDMI port.

Neither require subscriptions in order to run the standard streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, but both are far ahead in terms of hardware specs than a smart TV or smart-enabled PVR. This means service changes such as ITV Hub becoming ITV X pose no problems.

Fire TV sticks are available from £30 to £50. Roku prices are similar.

My advice to you is to forget about buying a hugely expensive Freesat recorder unless yours is broken. If so, then get a replacement.

But if you just want the streaming apps to work then spend £40 on a stick. They work better and cost nothing in subscriptions to run. Literally plug in, power up, connect to your Wi-Fi and enjoy.

I could not get ITVX with the old 32" TV, nor can I get it with the new TV.

Honestly, you're better off buying a Roku or Amazon Fire TV.

I can’t get it on my TV. I can get the app on my Firestick 4K and I watched something on it once on it but there were too many adverts so I gave up ( and watched the same programme, advert free on kodi) but every time I try now, it loads and then I get this:

B41F8489-5243-49E1-9D48-43EF97738C89.jpeg

Pressing retry does nothing. I get that on both 4K firesticks that I have. It says to contact customer support but I can’t be bothered.

Sponsored Links
Honestly, you're better off buying a Roku or Amazon Fire TV. These are both TV streaming sticks. They plug in to the TV via a spare HDMI port.

Neither require subscriptions in order to run the standard streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, but both are far ahead in terms of hardware specs than a smart TV or smart-enabled PVR. This means service changes such as ITV Hub becoming ITV X pose no problems.

Fire TV sticks are available from £30 to £50. Roku prices are similar.

My advice to you is to forget about buying a hugely expensive Freesat recorder unless yours is broken. If so, then get a replacement.

But if you just want the streaming apps to work then spend £40 on a stick. They work better and cost nothing in subscriptions to run. Literally plug in, power up, connect to your Wi-Fi and enjoy.
Thank you Lucid for your reply, there is nothing wrong with my present Humax so I would prefer to keep it and your suggestion of a streaming stick sounds ideal. I have been reading about them this morning and one article said if the Amazon stick was bought, I think it said I would have to log in to my Amazon account, is that Prime which I understand has a monthly premium? I don't want the Prime service so could I just purchase the Amazon stick and use it without Amazon Prime. I think for the amount of use I will get from a stick - usually just the ITVX online - as BBC Iplayer is OK, it would be best and save me an awful lot of money. I am sorry I just don't understand all this Smart etc., but thank you for your help.

Thank you Lucid for your reply, there is nothing wrong with my present Humax so I would prefer to keep it and your suggestion of a streaming stick sounds ideal. I have been reading about them this morning and one article said if the Amazon stick was bought, I think it said I would have to log in to my Amazon account, is that Prime which I understand has a monthly premium? I don't want the Prime service so could I just purchase the Amazon stick and use it without Amazon Prime. I think for the amount of use I will get from a stick - usually just the ITVX online - as BBC Iplayer is OK, it would be best and save me an awful lot of money. I am sorry I just don't understand all this Smart etc., but thank you for your help.
Both the Roku and the Amazon Fire TV stick are in effect customised Android TV boxes. If you have anything other than an Apple smart phone then it's an Android phone running a more advanced version of the TV stick operating system.

The only time you'll need a subscription with the Fire TV stick is if you want to access subscription content. This would be Amazon Prime exclusive content, or a Disney+ sub for Disney+ content, or an Apple sub for AppleTV content, or a Netflix.., you get the idea, I'm sure. You pay your money directly to each service provider.

But if you're still worried, then just buy a Roku stick instead. It works exactly the same way.

ITVX, iPlayer, More4, and the streaming services for Ch5 and a host of other regular TV channels require no subs for the basic services. ITVX has a premium service with fewer/no ads, but that's nothing to do with Roku or Fire TV hardware. You're paying your money direct to ITV for that.

IDK what you've read about Fire TV stick re subs, but there's some bad or confusing info kicking around. Mostly it's just confusing because the writer doesn't want a flood of complaints from people who think that buying a £40 streaming stick from Amazon is somehow going to get them a year's worth of subscription services for nothing. They add notes along the lines of 'but of course if you want to watch Prime content you'll need to subscribe.' Well duhhh! But we have to include terms for the stupid such as 'this product contains nuts' on the side of a pack of salted peanuts, or 'caution, hot drink' on hot drinks cups, and 'do not dry your pet in this microwave' on microwaves.

That last one is an urban myth, but the day is coming... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Buy a Roku stick if you're still concerned. Buy a Fire TV stick if you already have Prime for the free deliveries because you're already paying for their TV service as part of your Prime membership, so you might as well get to watchbit by adding the hardware.

Simples.

Last edited:
I can’t get it on my TV. I can get the app on my Firestick 4K and I watched something on it once on it but there were too many adverts so I gave up ( and watched the same programme, advert free on kodi) but every time I try now, it loads and then I get this:

View attachment 292545

Pressing retry does nothing. I get that on both 4K firesticks that I have. It says to contact customer support but I can’t be bothered.
I have a Fire TV 4K stick. It's about 3 years old I think. I get ITVX just fine, but agree that the adverts are really intrusive. When I tried ITV Hub a couple of months before it changed to ITVX I counted 15 adverts before the programme I had picked actually started playing. God help anyone trying to channel surf the streaming stations is all I can say.

I have used ITVX a few times since it came out. The beginning of a session is always painful. I've not yet had a repeat of 15 ads, but there are a lot. Once into a series though the ad number drops between episodes.

Now TV has ads at the beginning of each episode in a series, and also again when you pick up half way through when you've left it paused for an extended period.

If you're still having problems with your Fire TV stick running ITVX then try deleting and reloading the app from the appstore. Also have a look at culling any unused- or infrequently used- apps you've downloaded. All devices have a memory limit. Bad software writing from developers means apps are not as resource efficient as they could be. Lighten the load by chucking the junk overboard.

Last edited:
Thanks but I haven’t used ITVX much because of the ads and aggro loading it. All I do is look what’s on there and then search out those programmes on a kodi addon. No averts at all. So far, all I’ve watched is A spy among friends, Litvinenko and Stonehouse.

Thank you Lucid for all your help. I do understand all that you are saying (at last!) and think I will go for the Roku as you suggest. I feel happier now that I have an idea what I am talking about when I go to buy. Again, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back