Humidistat (FAN) and relative humidity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have an outbuilding at the end of the garden that’s roughly 16sqm and I’ve been told that I may need a humidistat fitted to the wall that will help bring the humidity down to 55% relative humidity.

From recent research I can’t seem to find a small wall mounted unit that goes as low as 55%. At the moment, if left to itself then humidity in the room gets up to 75.

My question is, is there a wall mounted humidistat that has lower % settings and isn’t 60% on the higher side of the acceptable room range?

Any brand recommendations or suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have an outbuilding at the end of the garden that’s roughly 16sqm and I’ve been told that I may need a humidistat fitted to the wall that will help bring the humidity down to 55% relative humidity.

A humidity stat on it's own will do nothing at all, without being connected to something to reduce the humidity.

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant a humidistat extractor fan, where it kicks in and sucks the humid air out when it reaches a certain level of humidity

Sponsored Links
It seems the humidity in the winter is causing the walls to get clammy at around 75%, so ideally it needs to be around 55%

There isn’t any water connected in the building, but I suspect it’s a combination of the floor (which is being dpm’d and replaced) as well as from the grassy dew being trapped in by the bifold doors. It’s causing the walls to feel a bit clammy

You seem to have been either misinformed or are trying to solve a problem with a wrong solution.

How are you going to keep this building at say 55%RH when it's 90% outside, or if the external temperature is below 8°C?

What about local condensation or various material dew points?

I was told that with a combination of a set temp inside of no lower than about 15, it should keep the moisture inside at bay…could be wrong

I was told that with a combination of a set temp inside of no lower than about 15, it should keep the moisture inside at bay…could be wrong

Good insulation prevents walls being cold, avoiding condensation. Dealing with sources of internal moisture also helps considerably - not drying washing indoors, extracting moisture after baths and showers, lids on pans and an extract hood over the hob.

thanks, as this is an outbuilding we don’t hang any washing so it’s just the natural moisture from the room being mostly cold

thanks, as this is an outbuilding we don’t hang any washing so it’s just the natural moisture from the room being mostly cold

It must be coming from somewhere. Air does not generate water.

Do the gutters leak? Does the floor have a DPM?

Floor doesn’t have a dpm at the moment, but I’m in the process of having it done, with a dpm over the concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back