Humidistat fan

I’ve had a humidistat / timer fan in my bathroom for a good few years and I’ve found it fine. By the time I’m halfway through a shower, it’s running.
Fair enough. As I said, I've never had one myself, so only have the reports of others to go by - but I have to say (for what it's worth) that you are one of the few people I've heard saying particularly 'positive' things about them.
I also have the switched live going through a separate pull cord within reach of the WC with an on/off indicator in case I want to switch the fan into timer mode when I’ve, err, left a bit of a hum behind in the bathroom. :LOL: Pull the cord to start the fan then one more pull to disconnect the switched live and let the timer take over.
It doesn't sound as if the OP's fan has such functionality - at leasst, if there is any 'timer', it presumably is not 'adjustable', since there only appears to be one 'adjuster' (which one assumes relates to the humidistat).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Maybe not logical, but have you tried turning that adjuster fully in the other (anti-clockwise) direction?

Kind Regards, John

I'll give that a try, but according to the instructions that would mean I'm increasing the threshold, meaning it would need even more humidity before coming on. I'm wondering if there's a phone app to show humidity so I can see if the bathroom is reaching 65c. 65c is apparently the minimum humidity temperature before the fan is meant to kick in.

If, as seems to be the case, they have felt it necessary to include a pull switch to trigger the coming on of the fan, that doesn't speak well for how effective the humidistat control is!

Kind Regards, John

Agreed!

Fair enough. As I said, I've never had one myself, so only have the reports of others to go by - but I have to say (for what it's worth) that you are one of the few people I've heard saying particularly 'positive' things about them.
I find it does pay to clean them out once a year as you get a fair amount of fluff and dust build up, especially across the tiny cut out that lets air around the humidity sensor.

I’ve had a humidistat / timer fan in my bathroom for a good few years and I’ve found it fine. By the time I’m halfway through a shower, it’s running. I also have the switched live going through a separate pull cord within reach of the WC with an on/off indicator in case I want to switch the fan into timer mode when I’ve, err, left a bit of a hum behind in the bathroom. :LOL: Pull the cord to start the fan then one more pull to disconnect the switched live and let the timer take over. Also means the fan doesn’t automatically come on if anyone switches the bathroom light on in the evening or middle of the night if they just have a wee.

I have too, works just fine.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't sound as if the OP's fan has such functionality - at leasst, if there is any 'timer', it presumably is not 'adjustable', since there only appears to be one 'adjuster' (which one assumes relates to the humidistat).

The basic thing which everyone will need to adjust, is the run timer - so I would doubt it includes a Humidistat.

The basic thing which everyone will need to adjust, is the run timer - so I would doubt it includes a Humidistat.
As I said, I see no evidence of a second adjuster on the OP's, so I presume that the one which exists is for the humidistat threshold. If there is a 'timer', it would therefore have to be non-adjustable, but the instructions seems to imply that there isn't one ("fan stops when humidity falls", not 'after a time delay').

Kind Regards, John

I'll give that a try, but according to the instructions that would mean I'm increasing the threshold, meaning it would need even more humidity before coming on.
I forget the details, but we heard not too long ago about some sort of adjuster (thermostat, humidistat or whatever) which seemed to be working 'back to front' in relation to what was expected ... so I would say there's no harm in trying!

Kind Regards, John

As I said, I see no evidence of a second adjuster on the OP's, so I presume that the one which exists is for the humidistat threshold. If there is a 'timer', it would therefore have to be non-adjustable, but the instructions seems to imply that there isn't one ("fan stops when humidity falls", not 'after a time delay').

My bathroom fan is PIR or humidity triggered. When triggered by either one (or both) it runs for a set amount of time, unless retriggered. The set amount of time is adjustable, as is the humidity level.

My bathroom fan is PIR or humidity triggered. When triggered by either one (or both) it runs for a set amount of time, unless retriggered. The set amount of time is adjustable, as is the humidity level.
Fair enough, but what you have clearly differs from what the OP has (hence what this thread is about), since he seemingly has only one thing to adjust, coupled with the fact that there is no clear evidence (from instructions) of any 'timer'.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but what you have clearly differs from what the OP has (hence what this thread is about), since he seemingly has only one thing to adjust, coupled with the fact that there is no clear evidence (from instructions) of any 'timer'.

What I'm getting at, is that the priority for adjustment is always the run time, be it a fan or a light, once triggered. I think what the OP has is sans humidity sensor, just an adjustable run time.

What I'm getting at, is that the priority for adjustment is always the run time, be it a fan or a light, once triggered. I think what the OP has is sans humidity sensor, just an adjustable run time.
That might have been a credible possibility, were it not for the fact that (remembering that there is only one thing for the OP to adjust) ...

upload_2021-5-20_22-19-10.png

Kind Regards, John

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-20_22-18-32.png
    upload_2021-5-20_22-18-32.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 35
Exactly, which is why I am suggesting it is the run time adjustment - it is perhaps not the model with a humidity sensor.
Fair enough, but if it's a model without a humidity sensor, then (a) what is this ...

upload_2021-5-21_13-27-20.png

... and (b), how could one explain ...
... It works and in the first week or so it would come on by itself when it detected humidity.
... and ....
... The fan works fine but it just means I have to pull on the white string to turn it on and off. But it used to turn itself on during taking a shower.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but if it's a model without a humidity sensor, then (a) what is this ...

upload_2021-5-21_13-27-20-png.234175

OK, but due to how the OP posted the photos - that is the first time I have been able to see that enlarged version. Yes, I agree that is a humidity sensor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back