Humidistat fan

OK, but due to how the OP posted the photos - that is the first time I have been able to see that enlarged version. Yes, I agree that is a humidity sensor.
Glad you agree.

If you had just clicked on the photo in the OP, you would have seen an enlarged version - which you could then (as I have just done for you) have enlarged it even more.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Oh - are you saying that clicking on the posted thumbnail didn't work for you?

Mind you, I have to say to, even to my ageing eyes, the humidity sensor was fairly obvious even in the non-enlarged thumbnail ..

upload_2021-5-21_14-2-8.png

Kind Regards, John

Well chaps. just to update you, I've now replaced the fan. I noticed the new replacement looked a bit grubby and checked with the shop if it had been brought back for any reason. It had indeed been returned but with no note of it being faulty and it was the only one they had in the shop. So I took it home and installed it. Then I realised the previous owner who'd returned it hadn't put the 4 screws back in the box. And I'd given my 4 screws from my faulty fan back to the shop with the fan, so I had to go back to get the screws! I should have asked for a price reduction since it was effectively second hand.

Anyway, a damp cloth has brought it up like new and it works perfectly, coming on by itself within a minute or two of having a shower. :) It's quite loud actually, louder than the other one, but doesn't bother me. So the other one clearly had a faulty sensor. I hope this one doesn't go wrong after a week or two because I've threaded one of the screws with my electric screwdriver and it would probably be difficult to remove!

Here's a photo of my old one and I saw a spring stuck between the flaps at the back. No idea what it is or if it was anything to do with the fan not working properly.

20210525_144707.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well not even 2 weeks on and the replacement has gone the same way. Won't come on by itself. What a load of garbage. :rolleyes:

Could it be to do with the old transformer?

Going to get a refund from Toolstation. Can anyone recommend me a 4" humidistat fan that's more likely to be reliable? I'm looking on amazon and don't know which to buy. All I know is Manrose and Expelair are the big names. That said, my old fan I bought in 2012 was a cheap no name and worked great for years.

Last edited:
This is what I have and it has been up at least 10 years with no problem. The humidistat works fine and I have the switched live going to it through a separate pull cord near to the WC (didn’t want it coming in every time the light was switched on) so for manual override and to start the timer, I just give it one pull to start it and another pull to disconnect the switched live and then the timer takes over.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...GXJDFc6mVszmaxdeUfW5xEv5IMtnciO0aAl7xEALw_wcB

Maybe not logical, but have you tried turning that adjuster fully in the other (anti-clockwise) direction?

Kind Regards, John

Hi John. Another update. The fan is actually working properly. The morning after my last post, it came on after a few minutes. And it's come on everyday since. But it's been taking quite a long time before activating itself. I took your advice and screwed it fully anti-clockwise and it came on within the first minute of having a shower. So the instructions are misleading or just plain wrong, as it says 'to reduce the humidity set point, turn the adjuster clockwise'.

However, at fully anticlockwise, it was coming on again later in the day and staying on which I don't need it to do. So I've tweaked it by turning it a little more clockwise and so far it hasn't come on again without me having a shower or causing any humidity. So, at least I know it's working. :) I'm now thinking, the first fan I had worked for a while then stopped, but perhaps had I turned the adjuster anti-clockwise, it might have also sorted it.

Hi John. Another update. The fan is actually working properly. The morning after my last post, it came on after a few minutes. And it's come on everyday since. But it's been taking quite a long time before activating itself. I took your advice and screwed it fully anti-clockwise and it came on within the first minute of having a shower. So the instructions are misleading or just plain wrong, as it says 'to reduce the humidity set point, turn the adjuster clockwise'.
Interesting. As I said, I seem to recall our having heard a similar story here a while back, when a statement something like "to reduce the humidity set point, do XYZ" actual meant the opposite of what it appeared to be saying!
However, at fully anticlockwise, it was coming on again later in the day and staying on which I don't need it to do. So I've tweaked it by turning it a little more clockwise and so far it hasn't come on again without me having a shower or causing any humidity. So, at least I know it's working. :) I'm now thinking, the first fan I had worked for a while then stopped, but perhaps had I turned the adjuster anti-clockwise, it might have also sorted it.
It does sound as if things are looking more hopeful for you, and I'm pleased if my 'suggestion' has helped you to move in that direction!

Kind Regards, John

Interesting. As I said, I seem to recall our having heard a similar story here a while back, when a statement something like "to reduce the humidity set point, do XYZ" actual meant the opposite of what it appeared to be saying!
It does sound as if things are looking more hopeful for you, and I'm pleased if my 'suggestion' has helped you to move in that direction!

Kind Regards, John

Definitely helped me, I don't think I'd have thought or bothered to turn it the opposite direction without you putting that thought in my mind. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back