Humidity checking before floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What do i need to be able to check the humidity of my room before i lay my oak floor. I'll be laying it in a few weeks as i need to repair my sagging floor and lay ply yet. So do i check just before i lay the oak or do i do it now?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Make sure your room has a normal environment, meaning heating source and wind and weather tight.
Check the air humidity in the room and the moist content of the wood floor. The wood will adept to the conditions of your room, so if there is now no heating, the air humidity is high and the wood moist content too it will not shrink until the time you install it and put the heating on (Just an example)

I'm

Getting new central heating started tomorrow (sort of a last minute thing due to storage heaters packing up). Should i leave the fitting of the floor for a while as i've had to move all the packs of board out of the room it was to be fitted in to allow acces to floor boards for new heating installation.

If i am to leave the fitting until heating is installed how long does the floor need to sit in the room it's being fitted as i've found allsorts of times on the net from a few days to a few weeks.

Also how do i check the humidity do i need to buy some expensive device

Thanks

It depends on where you bought your wood: reputable company with proper storage - timber yard with outside storage?

After the heating is installed lay the wood back in the room and if it's solid for at least 1 week.

Sponsored Links
Air humidity: decent thermo/hygrometer.

For wood moist content: those tools are quite expensive - best to find a local fitter who has one to check for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back