humidity sensor extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently there's a ceilimg mounted extractor fan in the bathroom. Basic extractor with an on/off switch outside the door. When you leave you switch it off and it turns off - imediately. Leave it running and you might forget and leave it on all night.

I considered a time-delay so it runs for 5 minutes or whatever after switching off, but then found

Does this do what it says on the tin? Any downsides? Ballpark cost for parts and labour to replace existing fan?

Sponsored Links
You could replace the Existing fan with a Humidity sensor built in. probably be just as easy and not much more expensive. I have both in our En-suite shower room, I'd tend to have the over run longer than just 5 minutes in winter.

Weird - nohing for years and then two in 5 minutes. I'll copy my other post here:

"I'm a big fan of these Airflow extractor fans. They are super neat and the self-closing cover is very clever. The basic fan has modules that you can add so that you can choose which functionality you want. PIR, Humidistat and Time Overrun or any combination of the three. I cannot attest to the effieicncy of the PIR, but the Humidistat and Timer Overrun worked flawlessly for me for over a decade, and as far as I know they're still working

iCON Range

www.airflow.com
www.airflow.com "

Regards

Tet

Weird - nohing for years and then two in 5 minutes. I'll copy my other post here:

"I'm a big fan of these Airflow extractor fans. They are super neat and the self-closing cover is very clever. The basic fan has modules that you can add so that you can choose which functionality you want. PIR, Humidistat and Time Overrun or any combination of the three. I cannot attest to the effieicncy of the PIR, but the Humidistat and Timer Overrun worked flawlessly for me for over a decade, and as far as I know they're still working

iCON Range

www.airflow.com
www.airflow.com "

Regards

Tet

I have a larger Icon 60 in my downstairs bathroom, it has the PIR and humidistat module. It is noisy. The extraction rate is impressive though. The humidity level is no longer adjustable, the screwdriver just spins when you try to adjust it. (from memory, the module alone was £75)

On warm summer evenings, it will kick in randomly, which given the noise, it is a bit annoying.

My biggest gripe is that it is virtually impossible to clean the blades. The outer sections of the blades are inaccessible because of the fixed sub cover.

A minor gripe is that the front cover takes a couple of minutes to open. They use a wax piston to open the cover. The wax has to heat up before it pushes the arm to open the grill.

We paid about £200 8 years ago. One day when trying to clean it, I stoopidly tried to prize the sub cover off, NEVER DO THAT. I had to buy a replacement but kept the module.

I honestly don't know if I would recommend them to anyone else.

Aesthetically, I am happy, longevity wise, other than my breaking one, I have no significant complaints. That said, my humidistat only extractor fan in the upstairs bathroom was less than half the price and has been easier to keep clean.

If it were possible to clean the dust laden blades, which eventually result in greater noise, I would happily big them up.

Sponsored Links
I have a larger Icon 60 in my downstairs bathroom, it has the PIR and humidistat module. It is noisy. The extraction rate is impressive though. The humidity level is no longer adjustable, the screwdriver just spins when you try to adjust it. (from memory, the module alone was £75)

On warm summer evenings, it will kick in randomly, which given the noise, it is a bit annoying.

My biggest gripe is that it is virtually impossible to clean the blades. The outer sections of the blades are inaccessible because of the fixed sub cover.

Aesthetically, I am happy, longevity wise, other than my breaking one, I have no significant complaints. That said, my humidistat only extractor fan in the upstairs bathroom was less than half the price and has been easier to keep clean.

If it were possible to clean the dust laden blades, which eventually result in greater noise, I would happily big them up.

I have cleaned these several times. It is possible to completely disassemble the blades and clean the whole thing separately. It is a while, but I recall that the only metal piece is the return spring and it was fiddly (but possible) to remove and replace.

The other alternative is to wash the whole outer assembly in a bowl of soapy water and then dry with a hairdrier (or leave in the sun if we ever get any!). This is not quite as effective as the inner portion of the blades is difficult to access

Regards

Tet

I have cleaned these several times. It is possible to completely disassemble the blades and clean the whole thing separately. It is a while, but I recall that the only metal piece is the return spring and it was fiddly (but possible) to remove and replace.

The other alternative is to wash the whole outer assembly in a bowl of soapy water and then dry with a hairdrier (or leave in the sun if we ever get any!). This is not quite as effective as the inner portion of the blades is difficult to access

Regards

Tet

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself clearly. I didn't mean the shutter blades, I was referring to the blades that suck the air out.

fan.jpg

The raised section over the blades is plastic welded on.

Apologies - I understand

In my experience I only ever hoovered out the black blades with the help of a paintbrush

Good luck

Tet

So two electricians have given opinions (but not quotes) over the phone.
One said he wouldn't recommend it for an ensuite because of the noise.

The other implied high cost as it would require extra wiring and dedicated RCD. Really? Isn't the sensor and/or time delay built into the fan? soas long as the fan is switched on, as per the existng wiring and switch, it will do what it's programmed to do (check humidity, run for specific time etc)/Or am I over-simplifying?

So two electricians have given opinions (but not quotes) over the phone.
One said he wouldn't recommend it for an ensuite because of the noise.
I agree. I find fan noise unbearable.

The other implied high cost as it would require extra wiring and dedicated RCD. Really? Isn't the sensor and/or time delay built into the fan? soas long as the fan is switched on, as per the existng wiring and switch, it will do what it's programmed to do (check humidity, run for specific time etc)
It will require an additional wire.
It could be argued you require an RCD.

Or am I over-simplifying?
Well, you are mistaken.

Another Icon user here- yes it's noisy- if it was just airflow noise then fine but the shutter opening thing makes a nasty whine when it's fully open (confession- bought it a year ago, only just got round to fitting it so haven't tried wax or silicon spray or owt like).
The mechanical shutter was the sell for me- gravity backdraught preventers are pants & didn't fancy paying proper money for other brands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back