humming noise in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an unvented heating system which is only 1 year old. When it was fitted they was allot of humming coming from the pipes. I called the plumber back and he fitted an inline valve which seemed to cure it. It has now returned and I cant locate the plumber. It happends on all the taps at different time of the day and even if I turn the tap off slowly it doesn't seem to stop it . Any ideas.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Its a megaflow gas boiler
Im getting humming from the pipes when I turn of the taps
It hapened when it was first fitted and the plumber fitted an inline valve of some sort and it stopped for 10months now it has started again
It started again a few days ago
It hapeds when you shut the tap even when done slowly
Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
FIrst thing I'd look at is your float operated valves (aka ballvalves) in loos and loft cisterns if you have any.
It's quite common that they hum when they're nearly full, solution is to change the washer, which will last a few years, or the whole valve for a metal one , which will probably last longer.
If you press the float down so water comes in and the valve is pushed off hard, the noise will stop - until next time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back