HW & CH are inseparable

SRH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Hope you can offer me some help. Details: (please forgive my ignorance; some of the terms I use may not be correct and my need clarification)

Boiler: Baxi Bermuda 551 (it sits behind a gas fire -back boiler !?)
System: My Heating system is pretty standard, with the boiler downstairs and the HW storage tank in an airing cupboard upstairs. Thermostat on the wall in the Hall and the clock programmer (analog not digital) upstairs in the airing cupboard.
The problem: I cannot seperate the function of HW only and CH.
There is a switch on the 'programmer' set to HW Only yet the heating still comes on. I have tried different combinations with the switch but cannot get only HW.
This has been happening for a few weeks now; there have been no major changes to the system for months.

I was thinking along the lines of replacing the programmer for a digital one to see if that made any difference ! ...I am good at DIY so changing the programmer "shouldn't" cause me too much grief...but I leave plumbing and CH stuff to the experts.
Thanks in advance.

Scott.

please note 5 your title has been edited

Sponsored Links
Not really enough info in the control gear in your installation (2 or 3 port valve, gravity HW etc) but if I was you I would be checking the power to whatever motorised valve controls the heating side. If the switched live from the programmer is off then you may have a stuck valve, if its on then you may have a busted programmer.

Alternatively, if its a 3 port valve, someone may have manually opened and locked the actuator which would give you constant heating when the HW was on.

Process of elimination really.

Thanks for the propt reply.

You mention checking the "valve" and whether it's a "2 or 3 port valve"

How can I check ? ..I dont really know what the valve is or where it is.

Cheers
Scott.

What is the make and model of your programmer ... We may be able to tell from that whether you have a gravity system or fully pumped

Sponsored Links
What is the make and model of your programmer

This'll have to wait until I get home..my missus cant find any manufacturer/model no.s :rolleyes:

Thanks for the continued help...I'll post back the info when I get home (if I can find it :eek: )

Cheers
Scott.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back