HW circuit Pump install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All 1st post

Im about to install a Milo pump on my Gravity fed HW circuit, is it better to put the pump after the F/E tank pipework or before...?? I Ideally would like to mount it close to the HW cylinder (after the F/E tank) for easy installation..any thoughts recomendations..?

Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
My first thought is that I have seen a lot of heating systems but NEVER a Milo pump !

I thought Milo was a chocolate drink from the past?

Tony

Its normal to put the pump close to the boiler.

The important point is the ensure the feed and vent are adjacient.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Im about to install a wilo pump on my Gravity fed HW circuit
Did you really mean that?

You can't use heating pumps for HW.....

thanks agile, can you explain the reason for this...?
ChrisR..I thought this would speed up the heating of the hw cylinder..? is this not good practice, i have feed on other posts about people doing this..?

Agile said:
I thought Milo was a chocolate drink from the past?
Hm, but more recently it was this dog:

milo1.jpg

...and going further back it was this actor:

1-9.jpg

...which leads us inexorably to this 'actress':

6232_0178.jpg

:D

After the f and e pipe work which shall be 150mm apart (from f - e) with the expansion pipe closest to the pump (which will be pumping away from the f and e pipework).

this will prevent air being drawn in and 'pumping over'

.....well thats what my book says :D

Thanks Bster, so if i install it close to the HW cylinder which will put it between the cylinder and the f/e pipework, this should be okay..? Iwas concerned if i put the pump before the F/e tank as per Agile says, this could possibly push water into the f/e tank...... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mike

its all about siting the cf and ov so as to create positive pressure within the system. and if done properly will not pump over.

Put it after the cold feed and open vent and you will (in theory) create a neutral point where air is not drawn in or water pumped over. (though the correct arrangement of the cold feed and open vent is required - 150mm apart with open vent closest to pump).

so getting deep, down and dirty you want zero pressure and not positive (pumping over) or negative (sucking air into system) pressure.

the only neutral point in the system is where the cold feed enters. the rest is either negative or positive, depending on pipe siting. zero pressure would mean not water movement at all

Hbomb, your gravity circuit will probably have a vent pipe coming off the flow pipe and a feed & expansion pipe coming off the return, both close to the cylinder. You need to relcate the F&E connection from the return to the flow pipe, just after the vent pipe connection.

You can then put your pump anywhere after the F&E connection, preferably by the cylinder. Ideally you would fit a cylinder stat and motorised valve to prevent wasteful gravity circulation once the cylinder was up to temperature.

as far as i can see i just have the f/e setup on the delivery side of the gravity HW circuit about 10 ft before the HW cylinder, is it the general consensus that the pump should go after the f/e setup or before....sorry for all the questions...

Thanks Guys.
Mike
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back