HW heating radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tl;Dr: Can you wire 2* 2-Way values to operate together for CH?

Bit of a long one, but here goes..

House has "Summer Radiators" in the batherooms that heat when the boiler is on - even for HW.
System boiler & unvented HW (boiler and HW tank swapped 3 years ago)
Asked plumber to remove Summer Heating as it's a waste of £ and I'm tight..
Nest thermostat

When install was finished, noticed that the rads were hot when the HW was on. Plumber came back and moved the return from the HW tank to the otherside of the magnet filter in the airing cupboard (as in the pic below). This seemed to solve it.

Since then, new rads in most rooms and balanced the CH system. After then, noticed that now some rads are getting hot with the HW on - checked the 2-ways, all working correctly. From feeling the pipes, what's happening is the return from the HW is flowing back to the boiler AND towards the rads (effectively reversing the return from the rads - in the pic, coming from 4, towards 2 (where it should be!) and also towards 7).

From what I can understand, the summer rads were fed from a sererate feed from the boiler F&R. This was changed by the plumber, but he could only get to the flow side, and not the return as it's either fed back to the return at the boiler, or more likely, each rad is back into the CH return. I didn't fancy him trashing my house to find this.

Having had a look at the pipework in the airing cupboard, I have boiler F&R, CH F (with 2-way) and R all on 22mm, and a 15mm pipe I guess is connected to the feed of the Summer rads.

My thinking is to add another 2-way on the return from the rads and wire this same as the 2-way on the flow to the rads so both close and open with eachother on when CH is called for. This would effectively isloate the rads.

IMG_20230409_104227.jpg

This is the current pipework:
1) Flow from the boiler
2) Return to the boiler
3) HW flow
4) HW return
5) CH flow
6) Summer rad F or R
7) Inserver additional 2-way here, set to operate the same as the one in the background (with the flow set the right way)

Confident in my plumbing skills to drain down and fit the valve, but wanted a sanity check first
1) Can you wire 2* 2-way valves off the same feed to operate as I plan?
2) Is there something I'm missing as to why this is a bad idea?

If it turns out to be more complicated than this then I'll get a plumber in, but aprecieate any advise so I can understand.

Sponsored Links
First thing- check that your boiler either doesn't need a bypass or has one fitted (tho looking again it appears the summer rads are now on the far side of the 2 port for the heating so they are no longer heatsinks for the boiler).
Second, have you tried turning off all the summer rads to prove the cause of the backflow (be a shame to stick an extra valve in and find you still have a problem)
Third- yes you can put another motorised valve in but it's a bit of a design fail. A backcheck valve should give the same result (still a design fail).
Fourth, any reason you didn't/couldn't just stick TRVs on the summer rads?

Thanks for the reply - the boiler is a WB Greenstar 30i. According to the installation guide it has an internal bypass, but also needs an external one.

I've set the HW on, and closed one of the valves on the magnet device, which stopped the backflow, so my idea would work.

But figure there is more to this than I know and as I'd rather not damage the boiler so I'll get a plumber in. Do appreciate the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back