Hybrid flat roof design in dormer window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on building a 1500mm wide dormer window into a 45 degree pitched roof. I'm at the 'design' stage and rather than going for cold/warm roof, I want to go for hybrid for space reasons. Is this likely to be a can of worms for the BCO, or has the world grown more tolerant of this approach?

I'd like to take the same approach with the walls: 100mm deep full-fill PIR between joists pushed tight up against the outer skin, and then a continuous 50mm PIR over the top - no air gaps. Does that seem feasible?

Thanks

Gary
full

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that hybrid roofs are tricky to form a vapour barrier and so insulation manufacturers arent keen on doing condensation risk analysis given so much depends on workmanship and lots of potential variants.

I personally think if a reasonable amount of insulation, say min 50mm is over the top, then the risk isnt too great.

Ive not seen BCO fuss too much -they cant see all the detailing anyway.

Thanks. I think I might do it on a full plans submission anyway, so I'll have a chance to haggle before the point of no return is reached. It's so small that there shouldn't be any joints in the 50mm sheets that I use for the walls and roof, so I feel pretty comfortable with the approach anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I think I might do it on a full plans submission anyway, so I'll have a chance to haggle before the point of no return is reached. It's so small that there shouldn't be any joints in the 50mm sheets that I use for the walls and roof, so I feel pretty comfortable with the approach anyway.

I had meant to include this link
https://www.ealconsult.com/warm-roofs-go-wrong/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back