Hydrogen gas in my radiators

there is a chance you have bacterial or fungal growth in the F&E. Scoop some out and see if it is slimy. If you get a bottle of clean water, and add a few spoonfuls of water from the F&E to it (leave the top off) does anything seem to grow in it? Ordinary sediment will fall to the bottom after a few days, but fungus will float on the top in a skin until it dies and sinks. Bacterial growth makes the water slimy and like a thin jelly. X100 does not seem to help with these but Fernox AF-10 (?) does (it is quite expensive). These growths make gas when they get into the got radiators and die. Alternatively, if you scoop some into a jug, and stir in a couple of teaspoosnful of bleach, does the goo disappear overnight? (bleach kills it)

If you have brown mud in the bottom of the F&E, it is usually iron oxide corrosion sediment. Very fine, will swirl up if you stir it into the water, and takes days to settle. It is faintly attracted to a powerful magnet (not as strongly as black iron oxide). I prefer to scoop it out and sponge the tank clean before draining, refilling or adding chemicals.

BTW did you see them using a powerflushing machine? It is quite big and noisy so you would have noticed.

I am a householder not a pro.

Sponsored Links
there is a chance you have bacterial or fungal growth in the F&E. Scoop some out and see if it is slimy... Bacterial growth makes the water slimy and like a thin jelly...These growths make gas when they get into the got radiators and die

Yes I do have clear slime in my F&E tank. I assumed it was X100 that had failed to be drawn down into the system (I've never seen a bottle of X100 in my life by the way). The F&E tank is only half covered because the cover is damaged - would this increase the risk of a bacteria?

If you have brown mud in the bottom of the F&E, it is usually iron oxide corrosion sediment.

I have that too. There's a reddish-brown tint to the bottom of the tank. Does this suggest I have both problems - corrosion & bacteria?

I prefer to scoop it out and sponge the tank clean before draining, refilling or adding chemicals.
Will cleaning the tank get rid of the bacteria too? Should it be cleaned with bleach?

BTW did you see them using a powerflushing machine? It is quite big and noisy so you would have noticed.
Nope, I was at work. I've got hold of the installer and he's adamant that he powerflushed it.

A small film of brown sediment is not serious, you always seem to get that. Start worrying if there is thick mud.

Not having a proper cover will contribute to dust and dirt and infection getting in, as well as drowned spiders and pigeons. I recommend you get a new cover, and also an insulating jacket.

Once you have the infection, it is difficult to stop it coming back.

bale out the tank and sponge it clean, including the valve, float and lid. I use a kitchen cleaner spray with bleach, but rinse and sponge it all away before refilling as it might not be good for the radiators.

sponge all the surfaces with thin bleach to kill as many spores as you can and allow to dry.

An economy method is then to refill with clean water and add a few teaspoonfuls of thin (not thick) bleach to the water and stir it in. This small amount of chlorine will not do any damage to the heating system, but it will gradually mix in or evaporate away.

For a more serious cure, add half a bottle of Fernox AF-10 (which you might have to order from a local plumbers merchant). IIRC it is about £25 for a small bottle, and if you have thoroughly cleaned the tank and lid, adding half a bottle after refilling the system should keep it clean for a year or two. Do any draining, flushing, or topping-up of inhibitors before you add the AF-10. It is expensive and you want it concentrated in the F&E tank.

I usually top-up the inhibitor as well whenever I do any draining or refilling. It only costa about £15. You have to drain out a bucket of water from the drain cock to draw it down from the F&E.

I have been using Sentinel products for some years, but it is possible that the Fernox inhibitors are better at preventing bacterial growth. I don't know.

I am a householder not a pro.

http://www.fernox.com/products/water+treatment+chemicals/disinfection/biocide+af-10

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back