Gas build up in radiators... help needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

I recently had my CH system powerflushed as the radiators were getting cold spots at the bottom of the rads. Searched around on the net and found out it was more then likely due to build up of sludge in the radiators.

Looked around and found someone to come and do a powerflush. He used 5ltrs of FX2 and was doing the power flush for the whole day. When he left all the rads were warming up nicely and no cold spots were noticable.

After a 2 weeks I noticed that the radiators in the middle floor and top floor were not heating up as much as the ones on the ground floor. Called out British Gas as I have insurance with them for the central heating and the engineer informed me that I had Hydrogen gas building up in the system and needed a Powerflush. I informed him that this had recently been done so he advised me to get the person back in a get him to do it again.

Since then the plumber has been back and reflushed the system. This time using 3 litres of sentinal x800 for about 5 hours. Then added 2 litres on sentinal x100.

The gas build up is still happening in the top floor radiators. And I am now at a point where I dont know what else to apart from maybe change the rads.

The system is 23 years old and its running on a Valliant VCW-GB 242e. there are no noise from the boiler and i dont have any other heating issues apart from this gas build up.
Any advise would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
In my Experience, FERNOX F1 is better at reducing hydrogen build up
than Sentinel, - however others may disagree! ;)

Can I mix the 2 of them? or would it be better to drain the system down and refill>??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back