House takes ages to heat up

Work being work done in the garage so the system had to be drained and I'm having the usual F22 and F25 errors due to air I would think in the system. I've also noticed the return pipe on the left is heating up first is this a flow issue or could it be down to the new pump that was fitted a few months back ?

Attachments

• Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Well, the return shouldn’t be getting hot first. I'd try turning the pump around.

Sponsored Links
Before you start turning any pumps look at the pump flow direction as shown by the arrow on the casing.

I've also noticed the return pipe on the left is heating up first is this a flow issue or could it be down to the new pump that was fitted a few months back ?

Who fitted the pump? If you are sure the return is heating up sooner than the flow, then the pump has obviously been installed the wrong way - get who ever back, to correct the error..

It looks as if your pump is a standard low efficiency and there is likely to be a silver screw in the centre at the right of the photo for bleeding air out.

It also seems to be pumping upwards.

But the magnetic filter is after the pump whereas it should be on the return pipe before the boiler!

It looks as if your pump is a standard low efficiency and there is likely to be a silver screw in the centre at the right of the photo for bleeding air out.

It also seems to be pumping upwards.

But the magnetic filter is after the pump whereas it should be on the return pipe before the boiler!
The arrow on the pump is pointing downwards and the magnaclean is situated above the boiler on the return pipe.
I hope to have someone looking at the issue today or Tuesday.

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 50
If the pipe to the the top (suction) side of the pump coming from the boiler flow pipe then the pump is installed correctly, its a 6.5M pump and is set to CC (constant curve) setting 2 which will give a flowrate of 18LPM (1.1M3/hr) at a 5M head and 26.7LPM (1.6M3/hr) at a 4M head which should be fine, normally. Check the obvious, like both (pump) isolating valves fully open.
The pump is supplied set to CC3, 6.5M, (one green+2orange LEDs), and its suggested to run at this setting for 10 minutes (new pump) to get rid of any air by rad venting etc., there is no brass vent screw on these pumps.
Also, presume the system is sealed?.

If the pipe to the the top (suction) side of the pump coming from the boiler flow pipe then the pump is installed correctly, its a 6.5M pump and is set to CC (constant curve) setting 2 which will give a flowrate of 18LPM (1.1M3/hr) at a 5M head and 26.7LPM (1.6M3/hr) at a 4M head which should be fine, normally. Check the obvious, like both (pump) isolating valves fully open.
The pump is supplied set to CC3, 6.5M, (one green+2orange LEDs), and its suggested to run at this setting for 10 minutes (new pump) to get rid of any air by rad venting etc., there is no brass vent screw on these pumps.
Also, presume the system is sealed?.
I have an F&E tank in the loft and a copper cylinder in the airing cupboard next to the pump, If the magnaclean is fitted to the return pipe as it looks to be wont swapping the pipework put it on the flow side or is the pump fitted to the wrong pipe ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_092024.jpg
    IMG_20220810_092024.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 32
Just follow the pipes as Labeled, if, as shown, then pump installed correctly, IF pumping downwards, and filter installed correctly, on the boiler return.
Your system should (and is?) (from the)...... Boiler Flow, then Vent, then cold feed, then pump.

EDIT: Can you show a photo of that Mag.filter & pipework, it may not be connected in correctly,

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_092024 Rev2.jpg
    IMG_20220810_092024 Rev2.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Just follow the pipes as Labeled, if, as shown, then pump installed correctly, IF pumping downwards, and filter installed correctly, on the boiler return.
Your system should (and is?) (from the)...... Boiler Flow, then Vent, then cold feed, then pump.

EDIT: Can you show a photo of that Mag.filter & pipework, it may not be connected in correctly,
Can you not see the video I posted above of the Magnaclean ?

I can but not enough details of the pipe work!. you can easily check it out, IF the vertical pipe is coming from the rad outlets+the cylinder coil return and IF the filter top pipe is connected to the boiler return then it is piped correctly, you will have to follow the pipework paths yourself.

Just to recap, you are having problems with what looks like circulation with this system for a long time and indications are that the boiler return pipe gets hot first, if so then either the boiler flow&return pipework is connected the wrong way round or the pump is pumping the wrong way round which, almost 100% guaranteed, it is not. as its pumping correctly towards the mid position valve. Once you confirm or not that the flow&return piping are connected as they should be as per my post then that problem can be ruled in or out and other reasons/solutions can be looked at.
You might also have a look into the F&E tank and see if its dirty and also get somebody to start/stop the boiler and watch for any water coming from the vent pipe, even if only briefly.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back