Hydrotherapy pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I'm planning to build a hydrotherapy pool for my disabled wife and I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

My plan is to create a below ground pool using blockwork, screed & liner. It'll be about 2.5m x 6m x 1.2m deep.

I want to install a jet to provide both resistance for swimming and massaging and I intend to build a wooden pool house. I'm thinking of a polycarbonate roof (section) to take advantage of solar heating.

Heating - I'm thinking of an air source heat pump
Dehumidifier - a heat recovery system

I'm a bit up against it for available space width-wise - about 3.5 m available but I'm prepared to accept a side deck to the pool of no more than 100mm

What have I not thought of?

Thanks for your help

Tim

Sponsored Links
The air source heat pump is a brilliant idea. We had one for our old 'above ground' pool, (18' x 12' x 4'deep), and it could get up to 36C over 24 -36 hours.
The only problem we had was the water inlet was near the top so to distribute the heat we had to either stir with a big paddle or get in and agitate it by splashing around.
If you are designing the pool I would strongly recommend seeing about the feasibility of the hot water being fed in from as low as possible, so the heat rises throughout the pool.
My wife is disabled, (broken neck 30+ years ago and now degenerating spinal column with other complications), and to ease the pain we used to often go to a swimming pool. Due to lockdown that has not been possible pf late so I know how helpless you must feel.
Good luck with your plans and I hope you manage to get your pool up and running for your wife.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm thinking that the total budget will be around £10k of which roughly £4k will be the heat pump and dehumidifier.

Sponsored Links
How big and deep are you thinking of making your pool?

My 'above ground' one was 18'x 12' x4' and my heater was 5.5kW I know you can get them up to at least 11kW if your pool is going to be bigger.
I was able to take 5-6 gentle crawl strokes to go from end to end but would have loved to go further. My wife, like a lot of women apparently, has the ability to just relax and float on her back without moving her limbs so it was perfect for what she wanted to do. (I try to float and my legs just sink down! :LOL: but I can do it if I gently move my arms a little).

How big and deep are you thinking of making your pool?

My 'above ground' one was 18'x 12' x4' and my heater was 5.5kW I know you can get them up to at least 11kW if your pool is going to be bigger.
I was able to take 5-6 gentle crawl strokes to go from end to end but would have loved to go further. My wife, like a lot of women apparently, has the ability to just relax and float on her back without moving her limbs so it was perfect for what she wanted to do. (I try to float and my legs just sink down! :LOL: but I can do it if I gently move my arms a little).

It'll be about 6m x 2.5m x 1.2m so 18' x 10' x 4' but with a jet that you can swim against so the length doesn't matter.

Will the jet pressure be adjustable? I like the idea of this but I like to do the crawl whereas my wife prefers the gentle breast stroke. I could imagine if it was set for one it may not be right for the other.

Thanks - yes, the jet will be adjustable from massage settings all the way up to crawl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back