Hyundai Santa Fe Crankshaft Sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a known problem with crankshaft sensor in the 2001-2006 Santa Fe?

14 months ago mine wouldn't start - just came up with the oil, engine and battery warning lights. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't find any fault codes but said that they thought it might be the crankshaft sensor. They changed the sensor and its been fine since.

A few weeks ago same thing happened again, checked all the fuilds and other bits and everythihg is fine so I think it might be the sensor again. Checked on Google and there are a lot of people reporting the same problem, especially on the 2004 model like mine. Theres also been a lot of reports in the US for the same thing.

As mine was changed only 14 months ago, since when the car's done less than 6000 miles, can I get Hyundai to fix it for free?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't think so, not to bad you actually know the cause of the fault.

How much will the sensor cost?

If you need a 10-year-old vehicle to be reliable, in my opinion you are choosing the wrong manufacturer.

But, that is just, my opinion

Last time it cost £220/- so its not cheap.

The car itself is perfectly reliable. The problem seems to be a design flaw in the location of the sensor. Reading some of the posts in Google the wires are close to a hot part of the car so they melt and fuse, causing the sensor to fail. Nothing wrong with the car just that when the sensor doesn't respond the computer shuts the car down.

Many of the posts in the US relate to cars less than 3 years old and some of owners are asking why a problem thats been known about since 2004 still hasn't been fixed.

Sponsored Links
some models do have a problem with an intermittant loss of signal from the
cps, check the harness along its length and pay particular attention to the multiplugs

Back