I beam external lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my engineer has specified a 203x100x4300mm UB above a new bifold door. The internal skin is timber frame and I will be placing the beam on the external block work.

Any ideas on how to fill it? I plan on weatherboard cladding down the front but we obviously now have a 100mm 'hole' in the wall? I could pack it with a piece of timber but not sure if it wouldn't evenly rot and come away from the beam.

Also do I need to tie the beam to the frame or let it just sit on the block ( which or course will be tied in).

Oh and another thing I forgot to get it galvanised can you get away with painting something on or do I have to end it back to be galvanised and at what cost?
Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why isn't the idiot who designed it telling you how to fit it and clad it?

Very good point Woody, I have just emailed him, thanks.

As you may have gathered I am basically DIY,ing and project managing a major project here. I am finding that almost everyone I deal with seems to have a line that says' not my job mate!'.

I have the roofer starting Wednesday so I'll see where that leads!

What's going across the opening on the inside where the frame is? You need something there.

Sponsored Links
That's what is proposed. Basically a beam inside in the frame and one outside on the block work. The internal one I can box in with plasterboard. But the external one is proving more challenging to cover up.

My final finish will probably be cement weatherboard cladding.

That's what is proposed. Basically a beam inside in the frame and one outside on the block work. The internal one I can box in with plasterboard. But the external one is proving more challenging to cover up.

My final finish will probably be cement weatherboard cladding.

No, why can't you have the same beam on the inside and outside? Are the doors top hung or something? There would seem to be lighter and easier options.

Anyway, you would bolt a timber inside the web, membrane, and then fix the cladding or finish. And insulate the internal side of the web.

Ok got a bit lost there but thanks for hanging in there Woody.

Basically the timber frame is up. It's a 4000mm opening which has had a steel UB built into the timber frame structure.

I have a 50mm cavity and then am building up block work to then clad an external finish. The steel I am referring to is for this lintel. I would rather have a catnic type lintel but the span (4300mm with bearing) means they are not strong enough ( according to Structual engineer).Also Concrete is out due to span so I'm now left with a 203x 102 UB.

The doors I assume, will be installed into the block work. But not confirmed that with the installer yet.

More likely you'll strap the doors back to the inner leaf and foam fill between the door and the outer leaf. This stops load transferring to the window when the beam deflects, and reduces thermal bridging slightly.

Bi fold doors are supported either off runners at the head of the frame or at the bottom.

I can't understand why the engineer has specified such a large section unless possibly, the doors are hung off the top and thus off the beam.

Normally the inner leaf would take the load of the roof, so if you have a beam sorted for the inner leaf and on the frame, then again why such a large beam externally? Why not just something simple like a timber beam or even a flitched beam and then you can easily fix your cladding to it.

Could you paint the beam with 2 layers of red oxide rather than galvanising?

Ill give him a call and question the calculations. The doors are bottom mounted into the timber frame for the only real loading will be the second storey which is largely another large opening (3.6m sliding door). I am mounting a balcony onto the Blockwork and onto oak posts but the loading should not be very great.

I thought this was a single story? o_O :oops:

Sorry it may be a steel then if it's two storey. I was confusing this with what must be someone elses posts about their single storey build.

Timber in the web as previous if it's steel.

You don't need galvanising unless it's exposed, and only then of it's what you like the look of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back