I beam external lintel

not sure if I am getting this right or not??
the timber frame as a 4000mm structural opening that as been supplied with a structural steel beam as part of frame kit??
you mention cladding the external with a weatherboard, which makes me ask why you are blocking up this elevation, it may be you could fix a vertical 2 x 2 treated timber to the face of the osb clad? frame at centres to suit required external cladding. however if there are other reasons that mean you want to block this up and it is a 2 storey with just the block and cladding above as a load then you may get an off the peg HD box lintel, lintel companies can offer loads of technical expertise that they will back up. assuming you are then cladding the blockwork you would still need to fix a vertical batten (2 x 1) to the block work, this could just sail down over the lintel with possibly a squirt of foam/ adhesive to take it up. Obviously you would fit a cavity DPM tray above. closing the cavity to form the head for the door, first consideration structural opening height, if the steel in the timber frame is at the correct opening height your external linel or even steel, may want to be slightly higher to allow you to finish back in to the bi fold door without losing the door frame, that is unless you like the look of the underside of the lintel or steel, on the inside you would finish the underside by sticking plasterboard to underside of steel beam, and fit noggins in the face of this beam for plaster boarding.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Russel,

You are right in what you assume, the steel is part of the timber frame. I have seriously considered just applying the cladding directly to the frame with battens but really wanted a more 'solid' external skin hence the blockwork. Its costing £5000 (materials and labour) for the external skin so a bit pricey.

Very good point about seeing the bottom of the steel. Ill mention is to the bricky, I could maybe just stick a pre-cut piece of aluminium trim on the underside of the steel in matching colour, Indeed i could even do this to finish the block edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back