I Can’t make my shower work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my current house I fitted a shower system with a thermostatic mixer bar and I installed a single impeller pump to boost the HW pressure. The existing shower (via the bath taps valve) was next to useless.

The CW pressure is very good - (possibly mains)

I connected a surrey flange from Wickes onto the hot water cylinder and i have used 22mm pipe all the way to the pump inlet. Pipe run is all curved except x1 90degree.

The now boosted HW from the pump goes into the wall and is connected to mixer bar using 15mm copper pipe. The cold water also goes into the wall with 15mm copper pipe and enters the shower valve at about 1 meter from floor level.

I have used x2 90degree 15mm - 3/4 compression fittings to connect the 15mm pipe to the shower mixer valve.

The problem is when I turn on the shower using the flow control on the shower valve - the pump does not engage.

The pump flow switch does work - i know this because if you jiggle the flexible hose which feeds the pump you can shock the pump flow switch and the pump starts... and when it starts up like this (i call this “jump starting”) it all works fine... until you turn the valve off!

It’s as if the shower valve is restricting the flow of the HW so the flow switch can’t detect any flow. - I suspect this because when I completely remove the shower valve and turn the HW on and off (using isolation valve) the pump operates correctly. - its only when i connect the shower valve all goes wrong.

My dad suggested that I fit a 1way shower check valve - this didn’t solve the problem.
My dad then suggested that I fit some sort of valve to reduce the CW pressure and therefore balance the flow into the shower valve??? - I haven’t tried this because i don’t know what im buying or if it would work... This is where you guys step in hopefully.

The pump itself is hard-wired with a fused spur (instead of the supplied 3-pin domestic plug).

My Fiance is not amused as apparently she can’t rinse conditioner out properly so any help is appreciated with thanks - Pazshower

Sponsored Links
Do you get cold water out of it when you turn on shower valve or nothing at all?

Good question... almost nothing at all, just a dribble if that. Even if i set the thermostat to cold there's still no flow.

pazshower said:
Good question... almost nothing at all, just a dribble if that. Even if i set the thermostat to cold there's still no flow.

Are there any plastic blanks fitted in the shower valve unions?!!

Is the hose to the shower head, or the head itself blocked.

You really do need to have balanced flows to the valve ie both pumped with cold supplied from a cistern (not mains)

Sponsored Links
Yeah I totally agree I should have got a twin impeller and pumped both from the tank gravity pressure. I wish i had now! If theres no other way round it i will have to.

I have taken the valve off the wall and there are no obstructions like debris or bits of paper washer. the valve wont even flow with the riser hose disconnected.

There were some plastic blanks supplied with the valve. They were like washers with a mesh and a cross hair through the middle. I think they are pressure reducing thingies as i remember (FYI the valve has a mesh debris trap built in on each side - both of which are clear).

Is the balance of the system my main problem then?

If you connect the valve to an alternative supply does it work then?

How would that be done? Is there a way of testing the valve like that to see if the valve is faulty... I supose it could be faulty. it's never worked since I got it out of the box - I blamed myself first :)

No probs! Without being able to fiddle this is a little tricky! See what happens anyway. I won't be on line tomorrow BTW...

I have arrived home and sorry but i was mistaken! Actually there is CW flow when i set the thermostat to a cold setting. As i said earlier there is just a measly trickle when it is turned to a hotter setting (and no pump flow switch triggering).

you sound strangely like a guy who lives down the street from me
same problem but he had a twin impeller pump
he was lucky as the council were due to change his electrics and plumbing throughout...
solution in his case - relocate pump to a postion closer to the hot water tank
- change the tank to a more adequately sized one i.e 25gallons upgraded to 50 gallons
- have cold water from the tank run into the mixer as opposed to mains pressure

you say the pump isn't activating when u turn the hot side on...try removing the shower head from the rail, hold it in ur hands and then turn on from the mixer...it may trigger the pump. once done you should be able to place the shower head back on the riser rail and find that it doesn't switch off..its a temporary solution but I would consider gettin a pro in to analyse ur setup as you may need a larger hot water tank...

Change your name to "Pazdouche" ........ From the French, problem solved you never have to take a shower again :LOL:

dynomo said:
you sound strangely like a guy who lives down the street from me
same problem but he had a twin impeller pump
he was lucky as the council were due to change his electrics and plumbing throughout...
solution in his case - relocate pump to a postion closer to the hot water tank
- change the tank to a more adequately sized one i.e 25gallons upgraded to 50 gallons
- have cold water from the tank run into the mixer as opposed to mains pressure

I could easily move the pump to the cupboard with the cylinder - What do you think my chances for success are if i did that?

and when you say change 25gallon to 50gallon tank - do you mean the CW storage tank in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back