I Can’t make my shower work!

cant be certain that it'll work mate, but its worth a shot. i just know it has done for a guy who called me out for a job a little while ago (customer had same issue as yourself)...i refused to work for him as his setup was so poor and the council were due to visit and change everything anyway...
council moved the pump so it sat directly beneath the hot water tank as opposed to underneath the bath tub, and because he had a 25 gallon hot water tank, they replaced it for a 50 gallon one..
if you perform the following actions, i.e. place pump beneath your hot water cylinder, and supply gravity fed cold to your mixer, you should have a working shower...i have seen various manuals to these single/double impeller pumps, all of them advise on this setup....
good luck

Sponsored Links
Can anyone tell me why converting the CW to tank pressure (ie balanced) will help? is the mains pressure forcing the HW back and therefore stopping the HW going through?

pazshower said:
Can anyone tell me why converting the CW to tank pressure (ie balanced) will help? is the mains pressure forcing the HW back and therefore stopping the HW going through?

DOH!!!
Sorry mate, had knocked down a cuppla beers prior to my response yesterday!! lol
Slight confusion....the setup I was talking about was with use of a twin impeller pump which needed gravity fed cold to supply one end of the pump, not the blimmin mixer!! I apologise...
you should keep the mains pressure into the mixer and possibly relocate the pump as stated before and hope for the best!!!

Cheers mate
I think that's the easiest troubleshooting thing I can do without too much bother.

I will tackle the relocate of the pump at the weekend.

Sponsored Links
I have moved the pump next to the HW cylinder and unfortunatly it still doesnt work???

I have since taken the whole shower bar valve assembly off the wall and i couldn't help but notice that that the inlet on the HW side seems to be blocked when i try to blow down it. (this is with the flow control open BTW and set to a hot position) When i try to blow down the cold inlet i can easily blow through the valve (when set to a cold setting)

Does this mean my shower valve has had it??? Blocked internally or something - perhaps even a fauty/manufacturing defect???

pazshower said:
I have taken the valve off the wall and there are no obstructions like debris or bits of paper washer. the valve wont even flow with the riser hose disconnected.

Is it blocked or not? :confused:

Really seems to be the most likely reason. Did you try what I suggested? :rolleyes:

Ok i will try tonight - I need one part from the shop first tho and i will be able to connect an alternative supply.

The valve is clean as far as I can see. If its blocked/seized , its on the inside and i cant see it.

(I'm probably being stupid but... It isn't some sort of safety feature that has tripped inside the mixer??? - To prevent scalding etc?)

pazshower said:
(I'm probably being stupid but... It isn't some sort of safety feature that has tripped inside the mixer??? - To prevent scalding etc?)

Usually the only scald protection is via a mechanical detent which is over-ridden by pressing a button on the temp control knob.

Well at last it's time to say Thank-you!

It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was blocked internally and connecting a hose into the shower valve and blowing mains pressure through the hot port unblocked the damn thing and now my normal low pressure hot flows through enough to trigger the shower pump.

The shower pump is not located in the airing cupboard, a much better and quieter place for it too.

Thanks to everyone involved. you've saved me the expense of a new valve!

Keep up the good your

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back