I can access the internet via powerline from separate metered supply!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
slightly bizarre discovery:

We have a flat connected to our home with it’s own separate electricity consumer unit, supplied, metered and billed separately.
I have the router plugged into a powerline (TP-Link) in a power socket in the house.

I have the computer plugged into the powerline in a power socket in the flat
I’m getting 24mbps download and 9mbps upload speed in the garden at the end of an extension cable

Should I be concerned that the signal is crossing from 1 supply to the other? How can it be doing this?

Any thoughts welcome

Sponsored Links
Should I be concerned that the signal is crossing from 1 supply to the other? How can it be doing this?
Not technically speaking. If the two electrical installations are on the same phase then, although there are no guarantees that it will work, it's perfectly possible that the signal will 'cross' in the manner you describe. It might even 'cross' to other houses further down the street.

There's a lot to be said against (be 'concerned' about) Powerline-like technology, and maybe this is one of them. Whether you should be 'concerned' about this is is for you to decide.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John - I was more concerned from an electrical safety aspect than data security, so you've set my mind to rest. Do you know if (generally speaking) if it works today then there's a good chance it'll work in a few days time?

Never knew that was possible. It'd worry me to think that other people could use your internet just by buying an adaptor and trying a few settings... who knows what they'd do on it!

Sponsored Links
from 1 supply to the other? How can it be doing this?

The high frequency that carries the data can be radiated from the cables in one house and be picked up by the cables in another house. The cable effectively act as aerials. The signals go via the air.

It'd worry me to think that other people could use your internet just by buying an adaptor and trying a few settings.
One of the problems with wireless communications.

One of the problems with wireless communications.

Only if you don't have your wireless password protected. But if you use a powerline, maybe in a block of flats, then there is a chance anybody can access it without a password?

Thanks John - I was more concerned from an electrical safety aspect than data security, so you've set my mind to rest.
Fair enough. There's certainly not an electrical safety issue related to what you have observed.
Do you know if (generally speaking) if it works today then there's a good chance it'll work in a few days time?
There's not going to be any guarantees but, if it works today, the chances are that it always will (unless there are relevant changes to one or other of the electricity installations).

Kind Regards, John

....But if you use a powerline, maybe in a block of flats, then there is a chance anybody can access it without a password?
If the Powerline is being used as a means of distributing a LAN within a premises, that is on the consumer's side of any password protection of the router, so anyone could probably 'see' the network, without the need for any passwords. Whether it would be possible to actually access computers and other devices connected to the network would depend upon how sharing/security/log-in etc. was configured for those devices.

Kind Regards, John

It's one of the benefits of buying kit designed for use in the USofA! in the USA every house has a 'low pass' filter (the step down transformer 220v to 110v) in the light and electric power sockets electricity feed.
I guess you are finding your powerline kit is working on the flats power is because the two properties are on the same electric phase - quite common in (granny) flat off a main home.
It's quite possible to get powerline units to work across several properties on the same phase in housing estates.

Last edited:
AIUI the powerline units encrypt the data and you generally buy a pair that are already paired. To add a third unit to be able to link in you have to have access to one of the existing units and set it into key-exchange mode to allow the third unit to learn the encryption key. That should be enough to stop the casual parasitic user!

edit... it may be that not all units come with the encryption pre-configured, you may have to do it when you set them up. If you don't then they could be wide open, so check the user guide that came with them.

Never knew that was possible. It'd worry me to think that other people could use your internet just by buying an adaptor and trying a few settings... who knows what they'd do on it!

No different to attaching to your wi-fi signal.
Just ensure both are passworded!

It's one of the benefits of buying kit designed for use in the USofA! in the USA every house has a 'low pass' filter (the step down transformer 220v to 110v) in the light and electric power sockets electricity feed.
I guess you are finding your powerline kit is working on the flats power is because the two properties are on the same electric phase - quite common in (granny) flat off a main home.
It's quite possible to get powerline units to work across several properties on the same phase in housing estates.

What are you talking about?
The supplies in the US are 240v centre tapped earth. NB NOT 220 or 110v. There are no step down in every house. The supplies come on as 3 wire 120 0 120.

What are you talking about?
The supplies in the US are 240v centre tapped earth. NB NOT 220 or 110v. There are no step down in every house. The supplies come on as 3 wire 120 0 120.

That sounds useful!

Does that mean they have the option of both 120V and 240V supplies, according to wiring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back