I can smell neighbours chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Live in a detached house. Roof goes from side to side in terms of pitch.

Upstairs window is almost level with lowest part of the roof.
Next door neighbours chimney goes about 4' above that point on their house.

They used to have a gas fire on the chimney but switched to wood / logs.

Now every time they light it and I have window open in the bedroom there is a strong smell of smoke and with a baby it's not good for his health.

Is there anything I can do? I Would of thought their chimney should be high enough that I shouldn't be able to smell it.

Sponsored Links
I don't know but being its a built up area with houses all around I would of thought so.

some perspective,

The room presently stinks of smoke, I know I can shut the window but because we have a baby in the room it can be difficult as we also need to control room temperature and get fresh air in the room.

Sponsored Links
Look on your local council website for the smokeless zone info.

Looking at that photo, it seems really unlikely that that chimney would cause a significant build up of smoke in that room. Anway, solid wood smoke doesn't generally 'stink' (although coal does). Are you sure that that is the cause? Also, the smokeless zone issue is a bit of a red herring. The government provides an extensive list of materials approved for burning in smokeless zones. I suspect that anything you can pick up in a Supermarket or service station is likely to be on the approved list, but it might be worth popping aroung to your neighbour with a copy of that list and a reminder of the consequences of burning fuels not on that list.

Count yourself lucky they have not got a wood pellet burner. They absultely stink. Planning officers are now insisting some new built houses have them 11k to conform to code 5 sustainability. So ultimately there is nothing you can do about your neighbours chimney or a planning officer would do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back